|Industry:||Regional Internet Registry|
|Headquarters:||Rambla República de México 6125|
| Oscar Robles-Garay, CEO|
LACNIC es el acrónimo de Registro de Direcciones de Internet para América Latina y el Caribe, que es uno de los cinco RIR regionales que asignan y administran las direcciones IP.  objetivo central de LACNIC es la gestión de los recursos de numeración de Internet, incluyendo IPv4, IPv6 y ASN. La organización cuenta con alrededor de 3.000 miembros repartidos en 18 países.
LACNIC is the RIR (Regional Internet Registry) responsible for the allocation of IP addresses and other related issues (such as the Autonomous System Numbers and Reserve Resolution) throughout the Latin American and Caribbean region.
The agreement for founding LACNIC was signed on August 22nd, 1999 during an ICANN meeting. At that time, ARIN was in charge of the Latin America and Caribbean region. Thus, LACNIC developed a business plan and sent it to ARIN; a transition was necessary to enable LACNIC to become the fourth RIR at that time. The other three RIRs at that time were: APNIC, ARIN, and RIPE NCC.
LACNIC headquarters are located in Montevideo, Uruguay, and it was formally established in 2001, even though the business plan was sent and approved in 1999. LACNIC was formally recognized by ICANN during ICANN's 2002 meeting in Shanghai.
In order to fulfill its objectives, LACNIC has the following expectations:
- To deal with DNS delegations which must be reversed;
- To allocate the appropriate amount of Internet addresses spaces according to IPv6 and IPv4 standards, as well as Autonomous System Numbers;
- To represent the interests of Internet users and members of the Latin American and Caribbean regions at a global level;
- To maintain the Whois database representative for the Latin American and Caribbean region.
The structure of LACNIC consists of:
- The LACNIC members: Influence the activities and services of LACNIC as well as elect candidates to the Executive Board of LACNIC. They are also empowered through their ability to accept new plans and annual finances.
- General Assembly: LACNIC ruling body
- Board of Director with an Executive Director subordinated: These directors are nominated and elected by LACNIC members. The Board of Directors consists of six members who eventually appoint the Executive Director.
- Control Organ: Manages and analyzes the activities and actions of the Board of Directors.
- Electoral Commission: In charge of organizing all elections, it consists of three members. 
On June 10, 2014, LACNIC announced that IPv4 availability had hit a critical low point.The organization then expressed concern over the fact that regional governments and providers were delaying the implementation of IPv6. Reaching the 4 millionth mark, LACNIC is now forced to delegated addressed in a more conservative manner. Since its beginning in 2002, LACNIC has dispersed over 182 million IPv4 addresses. 
LACNIC, joined by the Peruvian Scientific Network, will host LACNIC 23 in Lima, Peru. The event will take place May 18-22 at the Westin Lima Hotel & Convention Center. The event will feature discussions regarding the IANA Functions Stewardship Transition, Women in IT and case studies of IPv6 implementation.