|PIC Submitted:||Download Here|
|Priority #:||1766 - Donuts (Cotton Cypress, LLC)|
|Parked Domain %:||69.22 %|
|Delegation:||29 April 2014|
|General Availability:||10 September 2014|
.finance is a gTLD that was proposed in ICANN's New gTLD Program. The applicant and now Registry Operator is Donuts (Cotton Cypress, LLC). Their application succeeded and was delegated to the Root Zone on 29 April 2014.
The application was issued a GAC Early Warning from the representative of Australia and GAC Chair, Heather Dryden. The warning system is noted as a strong recommendation on behalf of national governments to the ICANN Board that a given TLD application should be denied as it stands. Applicants are encouraged to work with objecting GAC members. The warning notes that the TLD refers to a regulated market but that the applicant has not provided for adequate measures to protect from consumer harm.
European Commission Communiqué
The European Commission flagged the application for .finance outside of ICANN's defined remediation processes.
Just after ICANN's GAC issued its Early Warnings, which are advice given from one GAC member country to an applicant warning it of potential issues within its application, the European Commission issued a letter to all applicants within the New gTLD Program. The letter highlights 58 applications that "could raise issues of compatibility with the existing legislation .. and/or with policy positions and objectives of the European Union." It notes a desire to open a dialogue with each offending applicant.
The Commission specifically notes that this objection is not a part of the GAC Early Warning process, and goes on to note that "the Commission does not consider itself legally bound to ICANN processes," given that there is not legal agreement between the two bodies.
Delegation and Availability
- Reveal Day 13 June 2012 – New gTLD Applied-For Strings
- Delegated Strings, ICANN.org Retrieved 30 May 2014
- GAC Early Warning, NewgTLDS.ICANN.org Retrieved 25 Nov 2012
- Finance AU, GACweb.ICANN.org Retrieved 25 Nov 2012.
- DomainIncite.com/Docs Published 27 Nov 2012, Retrieved 11 Dec 2012
- Europe Rejects ICANNs Authority As it Warns of Problems with 58 New gTLDs, DomainIncite.com Published 27 Nov 2012, Retrieved 11 Dec 2012
- Registry Agreements, ICANN.org Retrieved 30 May 2014