1375 - Donuts (Atomic Station, LLC)
|Parked Domain %:||65.2 %|
|Delegation:||31 May 2014|
|General Availability:||08 October 2014|
.lawyer is a gTLD that was proposed in ICANN's New gTLD Program. The applicant and now Registry Operator is Donuts (Atomic Station, LLC). Their application succeeded and was delegated to the Root Zone on 31 May 2014.
- Donuts (Atomic Station, LLC), one of 307 applications filed by the company. This applicant submitted a Public Interest Commitment, which can be downloaded here.
- Top Level Domain Holdings Ltd., .lawyer is one of 68 applications that Top Level Domain Holdings Ltd. has filed for on its own behalf. This applicant submitted a Public Interest Commitment, which can be downloaded here.
In October 2013, Donuts won in a private auction the right to .lawyer, beating out fellow applicant Top Level Domain Holdings Ltd.. The auction was managed by Innovative Auctions and the winning bid was not disclosed. TLDH announced that it had received $5mm as a result of losing private auctions for .lawyer and .website against Donuts and Radix, but it not disclose how much of that came from Donuts.
GAC Early Warning
The Donuts application was issued a GAC Early Warning from the representative of Australia and GAC Chair, Heather Dryden. The warning system is noted as a strong recommendation on behalf of national governments to the ICANN Board that a given TLD application should be denied as it stands. Applicants are encouraged to work with objecting GAC members. The warning states that the TLD refers to a regulated market but that the applicant has not provided for adequate measures to protect from consumer harm.
TLDH & $15mm Auction Funding
On February 26 2013, Top Level Domain Holdings Ltd. announced that it had entered into a funding agreement worth $15 million to be used in the case of auction for a specific unnamed TLD. The investor will not receive ownership of the TLD but a share of future revenues. TLDH did not name the TLD that the funds are directed for, and it is in 11 head to head contentions and 12 featuring more than one contender.
Delegation and Availability
- Reveal Day 13 June 2012 – New gTLD Applied-For Strings
- Delegated Strings, ICANN.org Retrieved 4 June 2014
- gTLD Application Update 92 applications submitted, TLDH.org
- Donuts wins 3 New gTLD Auctions, Domain Incite Retrieved 24 Oct 2013
- TLDH raises $5mm from gTLD Auctions, Domain Incite Retrieved 25 Oct 2013
- GAC Early Warning, NewgTLDS.ICANN.org Retrieved 25 Nov 2012
- Lawyer AU, GACweb.ICANN.orgRetrieved 25 Nov 2012
- TLDh Gets 15 Million for A Single Top Level Domain Name Auction, DomainNameWire.com Published and Retrieved 26 Feb 2013
- Registry Agreements, ICANN.org Retrieved 4 June 2014