|Priority #:||628 - Amazon|
|Parked Domain %:||100.0 %|
|Delegation:||24 February 2016|
The application was issued a GAC Early Warning from the representative of Australia and GAC Chair, Heather Dryden. The warning system is noted as a strong recommendation on behalf of national governments to the ICANN Board that a given TLD application should be denied as it stands. Applicants are encouraged to work with objecting GAC members.
The warning states that the applicant is "seeking exclusive access to a common generic string .. that relates to a broad market sector," which Ms. Dryden notes could have unintended consequences and a negative impact on competition.
An official Legal Rights Objection was filed by DotSong Limited against the applicant.
A Legal Rights Objection, as defined by the ICANN approved mediator, WIPO, is when, "third parties may file a formal objection to an application on several grounds, including, for trademark owners and Intergovernmental Organizations (IGOs) [..] When such an objection is filed, an independent panel (comprised of one or three experts) will determine whether the applicant’s potential use of the applied-for gTLD would be likely to infringe [..] the objector’s existing trademark, or IGO name or acronym."
The following is excerpted from the applicant's response to question #18:
"What is the goal of your proposed gTLD in terms of areas of specialty, service levels or reputation? Amazon intends for its new .SONG gTLD to provide a unique and dedicated platform for stable and secure online communication and interaction. The .SONG registry will be run in line with current industry standards of good registry practice. What do you anticipate your proposed gTLD will add to the current space in terms of competition, differentiation or innovation? Amazon values the opportunity to be one of the first companies to own a gTLD. A .SONG registry will:
- Provide Amazon with additional controls over its technical architecture, offering a stable and secure foundation for online communication and interaction.
- Provide Amazon a further platform for innovation.
- Enable Amazon to protect its intellectual property rights.
- be at least 3 characters and no more than 63 characters long
- not contain a hyphen on the 3rd and 4th position (tagged domains)
- contain only letters (a-z), numbers (0-9) and hyphens or a combination of these
- start and end with an alphanumeric character, not a hyphen
- not match any character strings reserved by ICANN
- not match any protected country names or geographical terms
- Internationalized domain names (IDN) may be supported in the .SONG registry at the second level.
- The .SONG registry will respect third party intellectual property rights.
- .SONG domains may not be delegated or assigned to third party organizations, institutions, or individuals.
- All .SONG domains will carry accurate and up-to-date registration records.
Amazon’s Intellectual Property group reserves the right to revoke a license to use a .SONG domain name, at any time, if any use of a .SONG domain name violates the Domain Management Policy."
- Reveal Day 13 June 2012 – New gTLD Applied-For Strings
- Delegated Strings
- GAC Early Warning, NewgTLDS.ICANN.org Retrieved 25 Nov 2012
- Song AU, GACweb.ICANN.org Retrieved 25 Nov 2012
- LRO Cases, WIPO.int
- LRO, WIPO.int Retrieved 25 March 2013
- Pending Cases, ICCWBO.org Retrieved 14 May 2013
- Application Download, gTLDresult.ICANN.org Retrieved 18 Feb 2013