Cross Community Working Group on New Generic Top-Level Domains Auction Proceeds
|Cross Community Working Group on New Generic Top-Level Domains Auction Proceeds|
|Issue Areas:||New gTLDs|
|Date Established:||January 2017|
|Charter:||[ WG Charter]|
|Workspace:||[ Community Wiki]|
The Cross-Community Working Group on New gTLD Auction Proceeds was convened to develop a proposal for the mechanism to be used for the allocation of auction proceeds from the new gTLD program. These auctions were established as a mechanism for resolving contention sets, or a group of applications containing identical or similar strings.
It was recognized from the start that the auction process could bring in significant proceeds, so the funds received through the auction process were reserved until the ICANN Board authorizes appropriate use of the funds. Although the majority of contention sets were handled through pother means, the 17 that were resolved through ICANN Auctions totaled $233.5 million USD in proceeds.
- ASO - no objections to current charter proposal and confirmed adoption
- ALAC – ratified charter on 7 November 2016
- ccNSO – adopted charter on 7 November 2016
- GAC - confirmed adoption of charter on 24 January 2017
- GNSO – adopted charter on 7 November 2017
- RSSAC - adopted charter on 1 December 2017
- SSAC - prepared to move forward with the current charter