OARC stands for Operations Analysis and Research Center. It is also known as the DNS-OARC and plays a huge role in bringing together all the important implementers, operators and researches on a single platform to ensure that there is a proper coordination of responses to various concerns and attacks. It also adds a major fillip in the sharing of information and learning together among the various operators and implementers.
The Mission of DNS-OARC
The DNS-OARC is a not-for-profit organization which works towards enhancing the security, stability as well as the understanding of the DNS infrastructure of the Internet. The main mission of the OARC is to build good relationships with its members and create an environment that will ensure that there is a secured flow of information and knowledge is transferred through the means of workshops. It also works hard towards increasing the awareness about the importance of the DNS and provides all the necessary tools and services to public.
Participants of the OARC
The participants of the OARC are fabricated into more than one category. The following are some of the participants of the OARC.
- Implementers: These participants in the OARC produce all types of DNS technology such as appliances, software and all types of other network elements, which also include the load balancing hardware.
- Operators: These participants of the OARC include the root, TLD as well as the large commercial nameservers who make use of the DNS technology and produce all types of DNS services.
- Security Providers: These participants of the OARC are the companies who offer products as well as services which make use of the DNS information to enhance the security of their consumers.
- Researchers: These mostly include the ones who have a strong DNS emphasis and who are in need of accessing as well as tracing the long data related to the global DNS under both normal as well as abnormal conditions.
The functions of the OARC
The OARC carries out the following important functions:
- Conducting workshops: The OARC conducts semi-annual workshops wherein the public as well as its members participate and give presentations on all the latest topics related with the DNS. These presentations are mostly concerned with research as well as operations of the DNS.
- Information sharing: The DNS-OARC is known to provide a platform to the DNS operations community to share information as well as data. The DNS-OARC has implemented some strict confidentiality requirements and also works towards providing a secured means of communication to ensure that there is two-way sharing of information.
- Operational characterization: Owing to the increasing traffic levels and the extensive demand of the infrastructure such as nameservers, the OARC works towards measuring the performance as well as the load of all the important nameservers and also publishes the statistics on both the traffic types which includes the error types as well as on the traffic load.
- Tools and services: The DNS-OARC also develops tools and services and makes them available for public use so that the problems related to DNS are properly detected, highlighted as well as solved on a timely basis.
- Analysis: The leading developers and researchers in OARC provide a consistent as well as long-term analysis of the DNS performance as well conduct the autopsy of the attacks for the sake of institutional learning. It also provides with a well-provisioned system for its members so that they can upload the logs and traces so that they can conduct the analysis on their own.
OARC and ICANN
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is a gold member of the OARC.  It had also commented on the ICANN’s DNS-CERT. OARC had recommended a constituency for the CERT. It was also of the view that the CERT will have to gain support from the outside constituencies as well as from the other CERTs to ensure reduction of threats and to share incidents.