Domainer Mardi Gras
|Headquarters:||New Orleans, LA|
Domainer Mardi Gras is a domain conference held every year to discuss hot issues in the domain name industry. Professional domainers and companies from all over the world participate in this meeting. These companies are registrars, registries, advertisement feed providers, domain name parking companies, ICANN, and investors. However, there is opportunity for individual participation. The name 'Domainer Mardi Gras' is given to the event because it is held in Mardi Gras week every year after the famous carnival on Fat Tuesday, which is celebrated in some countries, perhaps most famously in New Orleans.
In 2011, DMG was postponed because of the heavy load of other meetings at the start of the year. It has been suggested that the event may be moved to coincide with the New Orleans Jazz Festival in 2012.
The key events in 2010 conference included:
- "Show Me The Money" by Bruce Marler, Patrick Ruddell and Sean Stafford
- "Reporter Roundtable" with Andrew Allemann and Ron Jackson
- "New TLDs. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly!" by Mike Rodenbaugh, Michael Berkens, Jeffrey Eckhaus and Ken Hansen.
- "Domain Name Investments in 2010 and Beyond. Where is the Industry Heading?" by Gregg McNair, Leonard Holmes, Hui Tam and Donny Simonton.
Major speakers of DMG 2010 include:
- Andrew Allemann from Domain Name Wire.
- Michael Berkens from Worldwide Media, Inc.
- Michael Castello and David Castello from Castello Cities Internet Network, Inc.
- Seth Coman from Modern Domainer.
- Jeffrey Eckhaus from Demand Media.
- Donny Simonton from Parked.com, LTD.
- Ken Hansen from Neustar, Inc.
- Gregg McNair from PPX International LTD.
- Ron Jackson from DNJournal.
The auction for DMG 2010 was held online by T.R.A.F.F.I.C. and DOMAINfest in which a total of 35 domains were sold. The major sales among these 35 were:
- artdealer.com sold for $14,030.00
- softmusic.com sold for $3,530.00
- yogurtmaker.com sold for $2,300.00
- ilovenyc.com sold for $2,200.00
- ticketplus.com sold for $2,155.00
- 3x.org sold for $2,000.00
- myreversemortgage.com sold for $1,950.00
- redlips.com sold for $1,716.00
- exerciseplans.com sold for $1,606.00
- t4.org sold for $1,000.00
The complete list domains present in auction showcase and results can be found here.
The inaugural Domainer Mardi Gras was held during Mardi Gras week from 19 to 21 February at Westin Canal Place in New Orleans. The show was a huge success and was followed by another conference in 2010. Main topics covered in conference include risk management, diversification, running a business offshore, and tax risks.
On the first day there were general discussions about the present situation of the domain name industry. On the next day, a session about ccTLD investments was held. It included domain income talk and tips and tricks about it. The third day was dedicated for the discussion on the future of domaining which was chaired by representatives from ICANN, Sedo, WhyPark.com, Parked.com, NeuStar and DirectNIC. The last day was for an auction of domain names. This auction was arranged with the help of Thought Convergence's Aftermarket.com.
The main speakers at DMG 2009 were:
- Matthew Berman from Deloitte & Touche
- Sandra Brooks from DomainTaxGuide.com
- Andrew Allemann from Domain Name Wire
- Ron Jackson from DNJournal
- Michael Collins from the Internet Commerce Association
- Rick Latona from RickLatona.com
- Patrick Carleton from Associated Cities
- Tim Cole from ICANN
- Craig Rowe from WhyPark.com
- Sam Nunez from Sedo