First ccNSO Organizational Review
The First ccNSO Organizational Review (ccNSO1) was initiated in 2009 and completed in 2011 with implementation of improvements continuing throughout 2013.
Article 4.4 of the ICANN Bylaws requires periodic review of all supporting organizations and advisory committees, as well as the Nominating Committee. The bylaws state three objectives for the review:
- to determine whether that organization, council or committee has a continuing purpose in the ICANN structure;
- if so, whether any change in structure or operations is desirable to improve its effectiveness; and
- whether that organization, council or committee is accountable to its constituencies, stakeholder groups, organizations and other stakeholders.
Organizational reviews are conducted by independent examiners, selected through a competitive bidding process. The independent examiner works in consultation with a working group assembled by the board, who will act as implementation shepherds once the final report of the independent examiner is submitted. The review parameters are set by the ICANN Board, and those parameters as well as other avenues of inquiry are typically included in the request for proposals (RFP) for independent examiners. Reviews can take anywhere from three to five years to complete. The full review process includes seven phases, including the implementation of recommendations from the review. Reviews must be conducted at least every five years, measuring from the date that the final report of the previous review was accepted by the ICANN Board. The Country Code Names Supporting Organization is one of the organizations subject to the review requirements of Article 4.4.
Initiation and RFP Process
The ICANN Board appointed five people to the ccNSO1 review working group in June 2009, with Jean-Jacques Subrenat chairing the group. In August 2009, the board published a request for proposals (RFP), incorporatoing a Terms of Reference (ToR) for the review. The board also maintained and published a list of questions received and answered during the bidding process.
ITEMS International was selected to conduct the review.
Methodology and Findings
ITEMS conducted the review along three major lines of inquiry:
- face-to-face and phone interviews with ccTLD managers, members of ICANN staff, and representatives from other SOs & ACs;
- a survey aimed at ccTLD managers; and
- analysis of the ccNSO's activities and observation of its processes and achievements to date.
- ccNSO1 Review Dashboard, last updated September 11, 2013
- ICANN Bylaws - Article 4.4
- ICANN.org - Organizational Reviews
- Resolution of the Board, June 26, 2009
- ccNSO1 Request for Proposals, August 17, 2009 (PDF)
- ICANN.org - ccNSO1 Questions & Answers, August 17, 2009
- ccNSO1 Review - Report of ITEMS International, June 15, 2010 (PDF)