Greg Shatan is a Partner in the New York law firm Abelman Frayne & Schwab, which he joined in October 2014. He practices intellectual property, internet, technology and transactional law. Previously, he was a partner in the New York office of Reed Smith LLP, for eight years. Prior to joining Reed Smith, he was a Partner at Winston & Strawn LLP for two years and a Partner at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP for 10 years. He began his legal career at Weil, Gotshal & Manges, where he was an associate for 8 years. He has been involved with INTA and its Internet Committee, where he has served on the DNS and Registration Practice Subcommittee and the new gTLD Subcommittee over the course of 8 years.
On February 8, 2015, Greg was elected President of the Intellectual Property Constituency. He has been a member of the IPC since 2007. Greg is involved in the following ICANN Working Groups and Drafting Teams:
• Reserved Names WG (2007)
• Single Letter Names WG (2007) (sub-WG of Reserved Names WG) (Chair)
• Rights Protection Mechanism Ad Hoc Reference Implementation Group (2007)
• Temporary Drafting Group on New gTLD Registry Agreement Issues (TDG-Legal) (2010-2011)
• IOC/RCRC Protections DT (2011-2012)
• IGO-INGO Protections PDP WG (2012-2013)
• Policy & Implementation Charter DT (2013)
• Policy & Implementation WG (2013-2015)
• GNSO Standing Committee on Improvements -- IPC Representative (alternate) (2013-current)
• Cross-Community Working Group on Internet Governance (CCWG-IG) -- IPC Representative
• Cross-Community Working Group Develop an IANA Stewardship Transition Proposal on Naming Related Functions (CWG-IANA) -- Member, representing the CSG
• Cross-Community Working Group on Enhancing ICANN's Accountability (CCWG-Accountability) -- Participant
Greg has degrees from Wesleyan University (B.A. in Sociology/Psychology and Music, 1981) and Columbia University Law School (J.D., 1981). At Columbia Law School, he was the Editor-in-Chief of the Columbia-VLA Journal of Law & the Arts. At Wesleyan, he was the President and Music Director of WESU-FM, the university's radio station. Greg also played on the Wesleyan University Rugby Football Club and the Columbia Business School Rugby Football Club.
- ICANNWiki Interview, July 2013.