ICANN 40 - San Francisco
|Dates:||13-18 March 2011|
|Location:||Silicon Valley, San Francisco|
|Venue:||The Westin St. Francis San Francisco|
|.xxx was approved|
ICANN 40 was held in Silicon Valley between 13 and 18 March, 2011. The meeting was hosted at The Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
ICANN 40 was the most attended meeting till date and also the "most heated." A lot of important issues were to be discussed at the meeting, including the .xxx and the New gTLD Program. There were more than 1700 attendees at the meeting.
After a debate lasting nearly ten years, the ICANN Board approved .xxx as a new sTLD. The Board made an agreement allowing ICM Registry, owned by Stuart Lawley, to handle the registry services for the TLD. There was a lot of heat on the .xxx debate at this ICANN Meeting, including a protest outside the hotel lead by important members of the local adult entertainment industry, as well as FSC Executive Director Diane Duke.
Multiple session were in progress consecutively in different rooms of the hotel. The prominent session included:
- CISO Roundtable, held on 14 March
- The main agenda of this meetings was Discussion of building pathways for engagement with CISO community.
- Technical Evolution of WHOIS held on 16 March
- This was a followup session to a workshop convened at the ICANN 39. This session was about IRIS and RWS, as explained by the experts. Authors and implementors of IRIS and RWS were invited to give presentations.
- New gTLD Program: Discussion of Issues Identified by Governmental Advisory Committee held on 16 March
- This session was an opportunity for public discussion on the set of issues identified by the GAC at the GAC Communique at ICANN 39.
- Transcript: New gTLDs with Board
- Consultation between ICANN Board and the GAC held on 15 March
- In this session GAC and Board of Directors discussed issues pertaining to the introduction of new gTLDs and the proposed delegation of .xxx to ICM Registry. The new gTLDs were approved at ICANN 41.
- Transcript: Consultation between ICANN Board and the GAC
- Presentation & Discussion of the Proposed New GNSO Policy Development Process held on 16 March
- This session was aimed at providing an overview of the new GNSO Policy Development Process proposed at ICANN Brussels.
- Presentations:The New GNSO Policy Development Process
- Clinton To Address ICANN Silicon Valley Meeting held on 16 March
- Geographic Regions Review Working Group Workshop held on 17 March
- This Workshop was a discussion regarding the future of ICANN's Geographic Regions framework featuring members of the community interested in sharing their views with members of the community-wide working group examining the current geographic regions framework.
- Diamond: Verisign
- Platinum Elite: NeuStar
- Silver: PIR, Iron Mountain, Afilias, GMO Registry, AusRegistry, CNNIC, Community.asia, United Domains, ISC, NTT America, InternetX
- Bronze: RegistryPro, ironDNS, NameMedia, RU-CENTER
Vint Cerf speaking at ICANN 40
Rod Beckstrom's opening speech
Opening Press Conference of ICANN 40
Bill Clinton addressing the audience
Interview with CEO Rod Beckstrom and Chairman Peter Dengate Thrush
- ICANN 40
- Community Perspectives: ICANN 40
- Yes2dotAfrica Campaign successful at ICANN 40 in San Francisco
- Campaign successful at ICANN 40 in San Francisco
- xxx approved at ICANN 40
- Julie Meadows Blog: Protest Against .XXX in San Francisco Tomorrow
- CISO Roundtable
- Technical Evolution Of WHOIS
- New gTLD Program: Discussion of Issues Identified by Governmental Advisory Committee
- Consultation between ICANN Board and the GAC
- Presentation & Discussion of the Proposed New GNSO Policy Development Process
- Clinton To Address ICANN Silicon Valley Meeting
- Geographic Regions Review Working Group Workshop