|Dates:||22 March 2021 - 25 March 2021|
ICANN 70 was ICANN's Community Forum for 2021. Due to the ongoing pandemic, it was held virtually, using the time zone of the originally planned host city, Cancun, Mexico. In an effort to increase the security of the virtual meetings, ICANN.org requires a registered account to log into and view most meeting information and archival materials.
Following in the pattern of previous fully virtual conferences, ICANN scheduled a "Prep Week" to provide information and orientation for new participants, as well as to outline and refine plenary topics. The Prep Week ran from Monday, March 8 through Thursday, March 11, 2021.
- Many of the sessions for ACs focused on the EPDP on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data and formulating Public Comments on the priority recommendations of the GNSO. The EPDP is part of a continued policy consideration and debate of the effect of the GDPR on WHOIS.
- The GDPR's impact was discussed in other contexts, including an ALAC panel on "Reimagining ICANN"
- The Policy Development Process on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures was also on many agendas, with attention paid to the particulars of implementation, including applicant support, Registry Voluntary Commitments (previously known as Public Interest Commitments), and issues surrounding geoTLDs.
- The GNSO kicked off the Policy Development Process to Review the Transfer Policy, providing an overview of the PDP's charter and soliciting statements of interest for the working group.
- After a review & comment period, the GAC has published their communiqué from the conference.
Social & Community Highlights
- Marilyn Cade was remembered and honored by many, including a request at the Public Forum for a minute of silence to mark her passing.
- LACRALO held a social event in collaboration with ALAC, which included a performance by a Mexican dance troupe.
- ICANN 70 continued the tradition of "Fika" sessions - coffee breaks and conversation in breakout rooms.
- ICANN.org - ICANN 70 Will be a Virtual Community Forum
- ICANN 70 - Prep Week (login required)
- ICANN 70 - Conference Schedule (login required)
- ICANN.org - A Closer Look at ICANN 70, March 29, 2021
- ICANN 70 Meeting Archive - "Reimagining ICANN - Responding to National Pressures," March 23, 2021 (login required)
- GNSO - Draft Charter, PDP Review of Transfer Policy, March 12, 2021
- ICANN 70 Meeting Archive - "ICANN Public Forum," March 25, 2021 (login required)
- ICANN 70 Meeting Archive - "At-Large LACRALO Social Event," March 24, 2021 (login required)