Joichi Ito is the Chairman and CEO at Creative Commons. He is also serving as a a Board Member, Advisor, trustee Affliate and in other positions at various companies of ICT induustries.
He has served and continues to serve on numerous Japanese central as well as local government committees and boards, advising the government on IT, privacy and computer security related issues. He is a co-founder and board member of Digital Garage JSD:4819 . He is on the board of CCC TYO:4756and Tucows AMEX:TCX . He is a Senior Visiting Researcher of Keio Research Institute at Shonan Fujisawa Campus in Japan. He is the Chairman of Six Apart Japan (http://www.sixapart.jp/) the weblog software company. He is on board of a number of non-profit organizations including The Mozilla Foundation, WITNESS and Global Voices . He has created numerous Internet companies including PSINet Japan, Digital Garage and Infoseek Japan and was an early stage investor in Twitter, Six Apart, Technorati, Flickr, SocialText, Dopplr, Last.fm, Rupture, Kongregate and other Internet companies. He maintains a weblog where he regularly shares his thoughts with the online community. He is the Guild Custodian of the World of Warcraft guild, We Know (http://weknow.to/).
Joichi Ito was selected by the 2004 Nominating Committee to an additional term, which ran from the end of the 2004 annual meeting through the conclusion of the ICANN Annual Meeting in 2007. ICANN.org
He has created numerous Internet companies including PSINet Japan, Digital Garage and Infoseek Japan. In 1997 Time Magazine ranked him as a member of the CyberElite. In 2000 he was ranked among the "50 Stars of Asia" by Business Week and commended by the Japanese Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications for supporting the advancement of ITBloomberg Businessweek. In 2001 the World Economic Forum chose him as one of the 100 "Global Leaders of Tomorrow" for 2002 Highbeam. He was selected by the World Economic Forum in 2001 as one of the "Global Leaders for Tomorrow", chosen by Newsweek as a member of the "Leaders of The Pack" in 2005 Higheam, and listed by Vanity Fair as a member of "The Next Establishment" in 2007.Vanity FairIto was also named by Businessweek as one of the 25 Most Influential People on the Web in 2008.Bloomber Businessweek
- Associate to Mr. Mount (The Executive Producer) at Indian Runner, January 1989 - January 1991.
- Producer at XY Relax, April 1990 - February 1991.
- CEO at PSINet Japan Inc., December 1995 - October 1996.
- Headmaster at Bithaus, January 1997 - April 1998.
- CEO at Digital Garage, Inc., August 1995 - June 1999.
- Board Member at Energy Conversion Devices, Inc., August 1995 - July 2000.
- Chairman, Board Member at Infoseek Japan, October 1996 - july 2003.
- Jury Member, .Net & Digital Communities at Prix Ars Electronica, May 1995 - May 2005
- Secretariat Member at Keizai Doyukai - Japan Association of Corporate Executives, April 1999 - 2005.
- Vice Representative Secretariat Member at Enjin01 / The Cultural Stategy Council, janury 2000 - 2005.
- General Manger of Global Operations at Technorati, March 2004 - September 2006.
- Board Member at MetaBrainz Foundation, April 2005 to October 2006.
- Board Member at Creative Commons, June 2003 to December 2006.
- Chairman of the Board at iCommons, October 2005 - January 2007.
- Fellow at The Annenberg Center for Communication of the University of Southern California (USC), May 2006 - March 2007.
- Board Member at Open Source Initiative, March 2005 - April 2007.
- Board Member at Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), December 2004 - December 2007.
- Board Member at Computer Scientists for Social Responsibility, July 2005 - 2008.
- Chairman and Board Member at Creative Commons, December 2006 - April 2008.
- Board Member at Rupture, 2007 - may 2008.
- Board Member at Pia Corporation, July 2002 - July 2008
- Board Member at BUG, July 2006 - September 2008.
- Board Member at Nishimachi International School, December 2005 to November 2008.
- Board Member at Foundation for Global Education and Communication, january 1996 - April 2009.
- Board Member at Socialtext, May 2004 - Febraury 2010.
- Board Member at Technorati, October 2006 - Febraury 2010.
- Angel Investor at Joichi Ito (Sole Proprietorship), June 1996 - presnet.
- CEO at Neoteny Co.,Ltd., December 1999
- Board Member at ZeroOne - The Art and Technology Network, January 2000
- CEO at Kula Co., Ltd., 2001
- Founder and primary contributor at Joi Ito's Web, June 2002
- Founder at Joi Ito's Wiki, April 2003
- Founder and op at #joiito on IRC, June 2003
- Chairman at Six Apart Japan, April 2004
- Board Member at Nihon Gigei Inc., Decmeber 2004