Lars-Johan Liman is Senior Systems Specialist at Netnod Ineternet Exchange in Stockholm, Sweden. He is the technical lead for i.root-servers.net, one of Internet's 13 root name servers for the DNS system. He is also one of two co-chairs for ICANN's Root Server System Advisory Committee (RSSAC) to the ICANN board of directors.
Lars-Johan holds a Master of Science degree in Engineering Sciences from The Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in Stockholm, Sweden, majoring in Applied Physics. Between 1992 and 2000 he worked at the combined network operations centre for the Swedish adacemic an research network SUNET, the joint academic network for the Nordic countries NORDUnet, and one of the first pan-European backbones Ebone (no longer in business). Following that he moved to Autonomica, a newly created subsidiary to Netnod. Autonomica was merged into the mother company Netnod in 2010.
Lars-Johan focused on DNS early on, and has held various technical and administrative roles related to the DNS over the years. He's been involved with i.root-servers.net since 1992, and his currently functions include:
- Responsible for i.root-servers.net, the first public DNS root name server based outside the USA,
- Co-chair of ICANN's Root Server System Advisory Committee RSSAC,
- Member of ICANN's Registry Services Technical Evaluation Panel (RSTEP),
- Memeber of the IETF DNS Directorate,
- Designer and maintainer of DNS systems for dozens of TLDs, including the world's largest ccTLD.
- Active in the DNSOP working group in the IETF.
- Active in the DNS working group in the RIPE community.
Lars-Johan's previous engagements include:
- Chair of the DNSOP working group in the IETF.
- Member of the program committee for the ICANN meeting in Los Angeles.
- Member of the Nominating Committee for ICANN's board of directors.
- Member of the gTLD-MOU Policy Oversight Committee during the creation of ICANN,
- Chairman of the working group for development of new domain name rules for the Swedish top-level domain .SE,
- Assistant investigator at the Swedish Agency for Administrative Development.
- Assistant supervisor for the Internet Mail Consortium's mail interoperability tests,
- Teacher of Advanced Internet Design at the KTH.
Lars-Johan also operates a small consulting business (Cafax) in which he advises on and conducts commercial training in all aspects of DNS technology.