|Email:||maarten [at] GNKSconsult.com|
Maarten Botterman is Director of GNKS Consult BV and appointed by the NomCom to join the ICANN Board per the Annual General Meeting in Hyderabad, 2016. He was reappointed for the second term on the ICANN Board by the NomCom for the term that will begin after the ICANN66 Annual General Meeting in Montréal, 2019. . From 2010 to 2016 he was Chairman of the Public Interest Registry (Board Member since 2008). PIR is the non-profit GTLD responsible for managing the .org and the .ngo/.ong domain.and 5 IDN variants on .org
He has been active in development of projects and policies that explore the potential of ICT and Internet technologies for societal applications since 1987. At the end of the ‘80s he was involved with implementation of integrated online office environments thus allowing new ways of working together within an office environment. In the 1990s, his focus was on making best use of technologies to make effective work possible at other locations than the office alone (telework), starting with a telework pilot for the Dutch public service and ultimately by facilitating the debate at European level as Scientific officer for the European Commission.
Since, the focused moved to include dependability of networks, security of networks and information systems, privacy and data protection, and subjects relating to Future Internet and Internet governance, including Internet of Things.
Maarten Botterman is Director of GNKS Consult and active in global Internet development issues, currently acting as Chairman of the IGF Dynamic Coalition on Internet of Things, and Chairman of the Supervisory Board of NLnet Foundation. He has been fascinated by the interaction between (internet) technology and society and spend most of his career in “getting the best out of it”. Maarten has been actively involved with ICANN since 2008, when he joined the Board of the Public Interest Registry.
Since 2006, he has been actively involved in EU policy on RFID and Internet of Things, in a series of projects, latest as partner in the EU sponsored project Smart Action responsible for the policy aspects of IoT developments. With the DC-IoT he has presented a statement on IoT Good Practice Policies for the global meeting of the 10th IGF in Joao Pessoa, Brazil, November 2015 .
- Director of the Board, ICANN
- Director, GNKS Consult BV
- Chairman, IGF Dynamic Coalition on the Internet of Things
- Chairman of the Supervisory Board, NLnet Foundation
- Chairman, Public Interest Registry (2008 - 2016)
- CEO (Interim) at Public Interest Registry (2010) (http://www.pir.org)
- CEO at Information Assurance Advisory Council (2003 - 2006) (http://www.iaac.org.uk)
- Director Information Society at RAND Europe (1999 - 2006) (http://www.rand.org)
- Scientific Officer at European Commission (1995 - 1999)
- Senior Telework Consultant and Policy Advisor at Dutch Ministry of Transport (1992 - 1995)
- Head of the Information Management and EDP-Department at Ministry of Transport - North Sea Directorate (1987 - 1992)
Maarten received his Masters’ degree in Business Economics from the Erasmus University Rotterdam; he also received his Bachelor’s degree in Economics from the same university.