Matthias Markus Hudobnik
Matthias Markus Hudobnik is an Austrian chartered engineer and jurist so-called legal engineer. He bought his first domain name with an age of 14 years. At the same time, Hudobnik started coding websites and has been passionate about the development of the Internet.
Hudobniks professional experiences range from Kazakhstan to Poland, Germany, Netherlands, and Austria in the fields of law and technology e.g. EU Agency, international law firms, Cyber Security Center, University of Graz, Austrian Embassy - Commercial Section Almaty Office, Mahle GmbH, Office of the Carinthian Government, etc.
ICANN and Internet Governance Participation
Hudobnik began his journey within ICANN in March 2017 as a participant in the NextGen@ICANN program at ICANN 58 in Copenhagen where he focused on the role as an individual Internet user and his next stages were as follows:
- Since March 2017, Hudobnik is a member of the European Regional At-Large Organization (EURALO) and the Internet Society.
- In June 2017, he was selected as CROPP to attend the European Dialogue on Internet Governance (EuroDIG) 2017 in Tallinn.
- In July 2017, Hudobnik completed the 11th European Summer School on Internet Governance (Euro-SSIG) in Meissen.
- In October 2017, he was selected as an Ambassador in the NextGen@ICANN pogram at ICANN 60 in Abu Dhabi.
- In December 2017, he was nominated by the EURALO Individuals' Association for the EURALO Board and got the opportunity to attend the IGF 2018 in Geneva.
- Between 2017/2018, Hudobnik served for a full term in the NextGen@ICANN Selection Committee. He is a strong supporter of the NextGen@ICANN program and recently presents to them during ICANN meetings in the context of engagement opportunities within ICANN.
- In May 2018, he was selected to represent EURALO as CROPP funded candidate to attend re:publica in Berlin focusing on outreach and engagement of individual Internet users, who are interested in shaping the future of the Internet.
- In June 2018, Hudobnik was selected as a Fellow to participate in the EuroDIG 2018 in Tbilisi.
- In October 2018, he participated as ICANN Fellow in ICANN 63 in Barcelona and as RIPE NCC Fellow in RIPE 77 as well as in RIPE NCC's Quantum Internet Hackathon in Amsterdam.
- In May 2019, he was selected to represent EURALO as ICANN funded candidate to attend SeeDIG in Bucharest. Moreover, Hudobnik has been nominated to serve as one of the three At-Large Advisory Committee members of EURALO, representing Internet end users from this region. He will start his term to serve at ICANN 66 in Montréal.
- In June 2019, Hudobnik was selected as a Fellow to participate in the EuroDIG 2019 in The Hague and helped to organize a session about the GDPR Implementation.
- Since August 2018, Hudobnik is EURALO’s Co-Chair of the ALAC Sub-Committee on Outreach & Engagement.
Hudobnik completed the College of Electronics Specializing in Technical Computer Science in 2008. His school-leaving examination project team developed a mobile fitness and body monitoring device named Ironm@Z funded by the provincial government.
Since the beginning of his law studies, Hudobnik is focusing on the areas of Cyber Law, Cyber Security, Internet Governance, Privacy, Legal Tech, and Intellectual Property. Throughout his studies, Hudobnik went on Erasmus exchange at the Tilburg Law School specialized in International Law and participated in the Tilburg Model United Nations.
The title of the diploma thesis is The Future of WHOIS - An analysis of the Policy Development Process under the GDPR with a focus on the litigation ICANN v. EPAG. Hudobnik, analyzes, how access to crucial information and protected data in the WHOIS-system can be ensured. Specificially, whether the collection and storage of personal data of the Admin-C and Tech-C are lawful, as well as whether the processing purposes are sufficiently specified under the General Data Protection Regulation. The modification of the WHOIS databases has significant practical implications since the General Data Protection Regulation came into force, as well as the Expedited Policy Development Process on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data (EPDP), which has potentially been influenced by the litigation ICANN v. EPAG. The diploma thesis concludes that there is a definite need for further modifications of other relevant policy agreements within the domain name registration process. The year 2019 will show whether Phase 2 of the EPDP on the Temp Spec finalizes in time, and delivers a holistic solution for compliance with the GDPR that is respected by the wide range of stakeholder groups involved.
In June 2019, Hudobnik presented a paper relating to his diploma thesis about WHOIS and the GDPR - A (never) ending story in cyberspace?, at the 34th International Conference on ICT Systems Security and Privacy Protection (IFIP SEC 2019) at the Lisbon School of Economics & Management. IFIP SEC conferences are the flagship events of the International Federation for Information Processing (IFIP) Technical Committee 11 on Information Security and Privacy Protection in Information Processing Systems (TC-11).
Summer Schools and other Participations
Hudobnik completed several trainings and summer schools in the fields of Cyber Law, Intellectual Property, Cyber Security, Internet Governance, [[Privacy and Legal Tech all over the globe e.g. LSE, HSE, IPR Center University Helsinki, HSD, NCIA, NATO, Europol, Tallinn University of Technology, University of Adelaide, University of Aarhus, Karlstad University, European University Viadrina, Legal Tech Center, ISEG, etc.
Moreover, he was part of the UN-Shadowing Program at the IAEA, the 23rd Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Court, and accomplished the Diploma course of the Global Advancement Programme organized by the United Nations Youth and Student Association of Austria - Academic Forum for Foreign Affairs.
Publications and Presentations
- Article, Is network communitarianism a better regulatory model than cyberpaternalism?
- Poster, Space Law: Austrian Pioneers in Space - Österreich und seine Bedeutung für die Raumfahrt
- Presentation, Regulation in cyberspace? International Cyber Law Summer School HSE Moscow
- Paper Presentation, Is network communitarianism a better regulatory model than cyberpaternalism? IFIP
- Interview, Matthias M. Hudobnik über die ungewöhnliche Teilnahme eines Juristen - Hackathons für Juristen…im Ernst?
- Diploma Thesis, The Future of WHOIS - An analysis of the Policy Development Process under the GDPR with a focus on the litigation ICANN v. EPAG
- Paper Presentation, WHOIS and the GDPR - A (never) ending story in cyberspace? IFIP SEC 2019, ISEG Lisbon
Hudobnik is a sports enthusiast, finisher of several (Half-)Marathons, Triathlons and (Half)Ironmen as well as loves to participate in hackathons.