Difference between revisions of "Top-Level Domain"
|Line 22:||Line 22:|
* [[Registries Constituency]]
Revision as of 04:48, 20 September 2010
Acronym: Top Level Domain
The last part of a domain name, such as .com, .net, .us, etc.
Each TLD is managed by a single Registry.
There are different types of TLDs.
These TLDs operated in different manners, and can be categorized in some simple ways:
- Operating Mode
- Open - Operating and offering both registration and resolution services.
- Closed - Not Accepting registrations, may be resolving evergreen/legacy/infrastructure subdomains.
- Level of Restriction
- Unrestricted - If there are no requirements that must be met in order to register a name under a TLD, that TLD is Unrestricted.
- Restricted - Requiring Local Physical Address, Local Tax ID, or other specific criteria be met to qualify in order to provision a name.
- Sponsored - A variation on Restricted, the applicant for a domain in an STLD must meet the requirements within that TLD (ie. .jobs would require that Human Resources be involved, .travel would require certain Travel criteria are met, etc).