|Date Implemented:||19 June 2014|
|Priority #:||619 - Afilias|
|Parked Domain %:||48.65 %|
|Delegation:||19 June 2014|
|General Availability:||08 September 2015|
.lotto is a TLD delegated in ICANN's New gTLD Program. Afilias manages the TLD and is its Registry. The proposed application succeeded and was delegated to the Root Zone on 19 June, 2014. . The European State Lotteries and Toto Association filed a community objections against this application.
The following is an excerpt from the applicant's response to question #18:
"Mission and purpose
The mission of the .LOTTO TLD is to offer entertainment businesses that provide games and lotteries to their customers a namespace to establish meaningful and relevant identities to promote their services and offerings. The primary purpose is to foster a sense of professionalism and trust among customers, other businesses and organizations that are part of the lottery industry.
We anticipate a variety of reasons that businesses and individuals would want to acquire a domain under the .LOTTO TLD including:
- Entertainment businesses may want to create a professional web presence including online stores or shopping experiences, or use blogs, wikis and file sharing sites to support their merchandising, retailing efforts and business goals related to offered lotteries and other games of chance.
- Businesses may wish to use .LOTTO domain to create websites to support or announce planned business expansions or changes of venue, and begin marketing efforts, research or tests.
- “It is estimated that over two million (people) play the lottery each week.” (source: www.ask.com). “During physical year 2010, U.S. lottery sales totaled $58 billion ($US).” (source: North American Association of State and Provincial Lotteries). These numbers represent a substantial number of lottery players around the world and, thusly, a huge potential target audience for this domain.
- There are government-operated lotteries in every Canadian province, 43 U.S. states, the District of Columbia, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. In the rest of the world, there are at least 100 countries with publicly-operated lotteries. They are all operated in one of three ways: by national, state or provincial, or city governments.
We anticipate capturing a small number of the government-operated lotteries in the first three years who will quickly realize the intrinsic value of the .LOTTO TLD. Therefore, we forecast having approximately 5,000 Domains Under Management (DUMs) by the third year of operation. Our financial responses in questions #45 through #50 go into detail on our funding, cost and revenue projections.
.LOTTO will be an open TLD, generally available to all registrants (except in the Sunrise period).
In general, domains will be offered for periods of one to ten years, but no greater than ten years. Initial registrations made in the Sunrise period may have a minimum number of years required. For example, there may be a policy that all Sunrise names must be registered for an initial term of at least five years. "
- Delegated String, ICANN.org Retrieved 03 Apr 2015
- Reveal Day 13 June 2012 – New gTLD Applied-For Strings
- Pending Cases, ICC.ICANN.orgRetrieved 15 May 2013
- Application Download, gTLDresult.ICANN.org Retrieved 18 Feb 2013