Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Email:||ca [at] rits.org.br|
Carlos Afonso is the Director of Instituto NUPEF; he was previously the Head of Technological Development of RITS. A co-founder of the Brazilian Chapter of Internet Society and of the Association for Progressive Communications (APC), Mr. Afonso is an expert in the field of Internet Governance.
- Carlos played an important role in democratizing the access to communications in Brazil.
- With Herbert de Souza co-founded IBASE.
- He also had a leading role in designing and implementing AlterNex, the first internet service open to the public in Brazil.
- In 1991, Mr. Afonso proposed and supervised the deployment of the Internet network for UNCED '92. in Rio de Janeiro.
- Carlos Afonso co-founded APC as a formal institution in 1990.
- From 1997-1998, he served as APC's first chair.
- He worked at RITS from 1998 to 2009 as technology coordinator. Publications
He has written many books and articles for internet development in different languages. 
Namur Award, IFIP, 1996.
ARede 2008 Award.
Trajetoria Prize 2010, LACNIC.
Betinho Prize, APC, 2015.
RNP Diploma as a Builder of the Internet, 2017.
CGI.br award as Internet pioneer, 2020.