ICANN 05 - Cairo
|7-10 March 2000
|Cairo Sheraton Hotel, Cairo, Egypt
ICANN 5 was held in the Cairo, Egypt, from 7-10 March, 2000. The meeting was hosted at the Cairo Sheraton Hotel by local host committee, chaired by Tarek Kamel and sponsored by the Egyptian Ministry of Communication, the Cabinet Information and Decision Support Center (IDSC), and the Internet Society of Egypt.
ICANN 5's opening ceremony featured a welcoming speech by the Prime Minister of Egypt, Dr. Atef Ebeid, as well as Minister of Communication and Information Technology Dr. Ahmed Nazif and ICANN President and CEO Mike Roberts.
ICANN 5 also featured several DNSO constituencies covering new Top Level Domains as well as ICANN's outreach. The ICANN public forum was the biggest meeting of the event and lasted a whole day, with discussion topics including the ICANN budget and the At-Large membership and elections program.
On the final day of this event, the ICANN board meeting took place and was open to public observation. Topics such as the future location of events were discussed, as well as a review of all other topics discussed throughout the meeting.
One of the main talking points of ICANN 5 was the budget for the current and the following year. It was a major talking point of the Public forum, and after a keen discussion it had become apparent that there were certain aspects of ICANN that needed a majority of the budget. The following were classed as a high priority:
- Provide timely and responsive staff support to the policy-making activities of the Board, its Supporting Organization Councils and other advisory bodies as needed, including policy implementation, preparation of legal agreements.
- Meet operational commitments of service programs, including IANA, root servers, registrar accreditation, membership.
- Conduct an active education and outreach program that supports public participation in ICANN policy-making activities, including public meetings, electronic forums, hardcopy publications.
- Carry out the general management and administrative responsibilities of the corporation in an efficient and cost effective manner.
Another major talking point and development of the event was the discussion on the At-Large election process and the structure of the group. At previous ICANN events, it had been decided that the group was only to consist of 18 members. One outcome of this meeting was how these committee members would be elected and how many and from what regions they were to be.
The conclusion of several meetings was the following outline:
- 2 elected from Africa
- 2 elected from Asia/Pacific
- 2 elected from Europe
- 2 elected from Latin America/Caribbean
- 2 elected from North America
- 8 elected globally at large
Mike Roberts was the CEO of ICANN during this event.
The current members of the Board for ICANN were Esther Dyson (Chair), Geraldine Capdeboscq, George Conrades, Greg Crew, Frank Fitzsimmons, Hans Kraaijenbrink, Jun Murai, Mike Roberts, Eugenio Triana, and Linda Wilson.
Proposed Independent Review Policy was made official during ICANN 5