ICANN Holistic Review
The Holistic Review process was recommended in the final report of the Third Accountability and Transparency Review team. The initial pilot of the process was conducted in 2022.
There have been numerous calls in the past for an organization-wide assessment process within ICANN.
The ATRT3 team submitted a series of recommendations designed to reform and streamline the review process:
- ICANN should establish and perform a new "Holistic Review" no later than one year after board approval of any recommendation from ATRT3. After that, alternate the timing of ATRT and Holistic Reviews, so that each review begins no later than twenty-four (ATRT) or thirty months after the approval of the first recommendation contained in the other review. (As in the draft report, this is designed to allow at least two "continuous improvement" cycles to occur within organizations between Holistic Reviews.)
- No other reviews should be launched during the pendency of a Holistic Review;
- Holistic Reviews shall last a maximum of eighteen months and operate in accordance with the Operating Standards for Specific Reviews;
- Holistic Reviews will focus on: 1) continuous improvement efforts of SOs, ACs, and the NomCom; 2) Inter-organizational communication and collaboration; 3) accountability of the SOs, ACs, or contituent parts to their members and constituencies; and 4) reviewing the entirety of the ICANN organizational structure to determine if all the constituent parts still serve a purpose, or if there are opportunities to alter the structure(s) and operations of ICANN to better represent the community and improve effectiveness
- Organizational Reviews should be transformed into "continuous improvement programs" within each structure currently subject to an Article 4.4 review.
- Allowing for some flexibility so that each organization can optimize its approach to continuous improvement, each program will include annual satisfaction surveys of members/participants, annual assessment of the improvement program (which may either be self-directed or facilitated), and budgetary and staff support that at a minimum matches the operational support for the current organizational review process.
- Results of the annual surveys and assessments will be published and will be reviewed during the next Holistic Review.
The Board approved a pilot of the Holistic Review, to be conducted in 2022. The workspace for the pilot review was maintained as part of the ATRT Implementation wiki The draft Terms of Reference (TOR) for the pilot highlighted open issues identified by the board or the review team, and provided a preliminary scope for discussion.
- ATRT3 Final Report, May 29, 2020
- Holistic Review Pilot Project Workspace
- Holistic Review Pilot Project - Draft Terms of Reference, May 25, 2022 (PDF)