|Founded:||New Zealand, 1995|
|Headquarters:||Level 9, Grand Arcade Tower,|
16 Willis Street, Wellington
| Jordan Carter, Chief Executive|
InternetNZ (Internet New Zealand Inc.) is a voice, a helping hand and a guide to the Internet for all New Zealanders. It provides a voice for the Internet, to the government and the public; it gives a helping hand to the Internet community; and it provides a guide to those who seek knowledge, support or any other method of benefiting the Internet and its users.
The redelegation to InternetNZ occurred in 1996, when Waikato University wished to cease providing domain name registration services due to the increasing demand for domain names in the .nz space, during the years of rapid growth of the Internet. IANA authorised this friendly redelegation, and the New Zealand Government acknowledged this change a number of years later.
On the 29th of October, 2007, InternetNZ and ICANN entered into an arrangement by an "exchange of letters" recognizing each other and the obligations of the two parties in relation to the operation of the .nz domain name.
In 2008, InternetNZ proposed to change it's official name from “The Internet Society of New Zealand” to “Internet New Zealand Inc.”.
While InternetNZ is the designated manager for the .nz ccTLDand represents New Zealand at a global level through that role, it also has two wholly owned subsidiaries that ensure that help keep the ccTLD running effectively. These are:
- DNC (Domain Name Commission): Developes and enforces policies for the .nz domain name space
- NZRS (.nz Registry Services): Maintains and publishes the register of .nz names and operates the Domain Name System for .nz.
As of January 2012, InternetNZ had declared an interest in applying for .kiwi though ICANN's new gTLD program. The extension is an interesting bid given that it is a national identifier akin to New Zealand's .nz ccTLD, but arguably more fun. InternetNZ is not the only organization interested in applying for the extension, as a group of ex-pats based in Vancouver, Canada, have declared their intention to do the same. The latter group is associated with current Minds + Machines Chairman, and former ICANN Board Chairman, Peter Dengate Thrush.
As of August 2015, the elected InternetNZ council are Richard Hulse, Brenda Wallace, Neil James, Richard Wood, Amber Craig, Kelly Buehler, Rochelle Furneaux, Dave Moskovitz, Sarah Lee and Hayden Glass. The council is headed by president Jamie Baddeley and vice-president Joy Liddicoat..
InternetNZ also has two wholly owned subsidaries, they are:
- Domain Name Commission Limited- Wholly-owned subsidiary company for the day-to-day management of the .nz domain.
- New Zealand Domain Name Registry Limited - Wholly-owned subsidiary company to manage .nz register.
Services offered by InternetNZ
InternetNZ is the recognised delegated manager for the .nz ccTLD.
- InternetNZ.nz - About InternetNZ. Updated 2015 July 8.
- ICANN and InternetNZ recognize each other
- InternetNZ proposes official name change
- Dot Kiwi to Enhance Patriotic Flavour, Stuff.co
- Dot kiwi domain name reservations set to begin, TVNZ.co.nz
- InternetNZ.nz - InternetNZ Council. Updated 2015 July 8.