|Registry:||Charleston Road Registry Inc.|
|Registry Backend:||Google Corporation|
|Priority #:||945 - Demand Media (United TLD Holdco Ltd.)|
1240 - Amazon
1434 - Google (Charleston Road Registry Inc.)
On June 9, 2016, ICANN and Charleston Road Registry Inc (a subsidiary of Google), entered into a Registry Agreement under which Charleston Road Registry Inc., operates the .map top-level domain.
The Delegation Record was issued on June 8th, 2017.
- Amazon - filed 30 Apr 2014, application has subsequently been withdrawn.
- Demand Media (United TLD Holdco Ltd.) - This applicant submitted a Public Interest Commitment, which can be downloaded here.
- Google (Charleston Road Registry Inc.) FairSearch.org filed a Community Objection against this application. Google prevailed.
Amazon's application was issued a GAC Early Warning from the representative of Australia and GAC Chair, Heather Dryden. The warning system is noted as a strong recommendation on behalf of national governments to the ICANN Board that a given TLD application should be denied as it stands. Applicants are encouraged to work with objecting GAC members.
The warning states that the applicant is "seeking exclusive access to a common generic string .. that relates to a broad market sector," which Ms. Dryden notes could have unintended consequences and a negative impact on competition.
- ICANN delegation of .map domain https://www.icann.org/resources/agreement/map-2016-06-10-en
- Delegation Record for .map https://www.iana.org/domains/root/db/map.html
- Amazon application Retrieved 17 Sept 2018
- Amazon application status: withdrawn Retrieved 17 Sept 2018
- Map Status, ICANN.org
- Pending Cases, ICCWBO.org Retrieved 14 May 2013
- Google prevails in FairSearch.org filing Retrieved 17 Sept 2018
- GAC Early Warning, NewgTLDS.ICANN.org Retrieved 25 Nov 2012
- Map AU, GACweb.ICANN.org