|Date Implemented:||21 March 2015|
|Priority #:||371 - Rightside|
438 - Amazon
1476 - Radix (DotNews Inc.)
1659 - Uniregistry, Corp.
1835 - Famous Four Media (dot News Limited)
1876 - Primer Nivel</s
|Parked Domain %:||53.87 %|
|Delegation:||21 March 2015|
|General Availability:||15 July 2015|
.news is an active TLD in ICANN's New gTLD Program. The proposed application succeeded and was delegated to the Root Zone on 21 March, 2015. Rightside is the manager and registry for the TLD. Prior to reaching General Availabilty on July 15, 2015, the TLD logged over 1,000 registrations during its trademark sunrise period. 
Usage & Adoption
Numerous news/media sources registered for .news during the TLD's sunrise period including Amazon, Fox, Sinclair and others. 
- Radix, .news is one of 31 applications submitted by the company.
- Uniregistry, Corp., the company has applied for 54 TLDs and is owned by domainer Frank Schilling.
- Primer Nivel
- Famous Four Media (dot News Limited) has applied for 61 TLDs.
- Merchant Law Group LLP
Amazon's application was issued a GAC Early Warning from the representative of Australia and GAC Chair, Heather Dryden. The warning system is noted as a strong recommendation on behalf of national governments to the ICANN Board that a given TLD application should be denied as it stands. Applicants are encouraged to work with objecting GAC members.
The warning states that the applicant is "seeking exclusive access to a common generic string .. that relates to a broad market sector," which Ms. Dryden notes could have unintended consequences and a negative impact on competition.
Radix received a GAC Early Warning as an entire applicant, where each one of the applicants was flagged by the U.S. Government. This seems to be the only time a portfolio applicant had all of their applications warned. The issue does not deal with the technical capabilities or thematic content of their applications, but rather the inclusion of an email address associated with the US' Federal Bureau of Investigation. It seems that Radix included correspondence with this address as a recommendation with each of their applications.
- Delegated String, ICANN.org Retrieved 24 Mar 2015
- Donuts wins five more gTLD auctions Domainincite, published 3rd December 2014, retrieved 4th December 2014.
- New TLDs Directir Forms Radix Applies for 31 new TLDs, DomainNameNews.com
- GAC Early Warning, NewgTLDS.ICANN.org Retrieved 25 Nov 2012
- News AU, GACweb.ICANN.org Retrieved 25 Nov 2012
- RadixReg. GACweb.ICANN.org Retrieved 27 Nov 2012