|Registry Provider:||GMO Registry|
|Registry:||SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION|
|Registry Backend:||GMO Registry|
|Date Implemented:||2 July 2014|
|Priority #:||722 - SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION|
|Parked Domain %:||41.67 %|
|Delegation:||02 July 2014|
.suzuki is a Brand TLD delegated in ICANN's New gTLD Program. SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION manages the TLD and is its Registry. The proposed application succeeded and was delegated to the Root Zone on 02 July, 2014..
The following is excerpted from the applicant's response to question #18:
"Starting business in 1909 as Suzuki Loom Works, the firm was incorporated in 1920. Since foundation Hamamatsu, Japan, SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION (ʺSUZUKIʺ) has steadily grown and expanded. During the post-W.W.II period, our motorized bike ʹPower freeʹ* which earned a good reputation was followed by our 125cc motorcycle ʹColledaʹ, and later by the pioneering ʹSuzulightʹ* lightweight car that helped bring Japanʹs automotive revolution. Each of these was epoch-making in their own right as they were developed and manufactured by optimizing the most advanced technologies of that period.
Today, constantly going forward to meet changing lifestyles, the SUZUKI name is seen on a full range of motorcycles, automobiles, outboard motors and related products such as motorized wheelchairs and industrial equipment. The mark trademark is recognized by people throughout the world as a brand of quality products that offer both reliability and originality. SUZUKI stands behind this global symbol with a sure determination to maintain this confidence in the future as well, never stopping in creating such advanced ʹvalue-packed productsʹ.
- This and following model names are for products marketed in Japan.
.suzuki is a domain for SUZUKI and its stakeholders. The primary purpose of .suzuki is to consolidate SUZUKI-related domain names registered under various TLDs into an official .suzuki extension. In addition, SUZUKI aims to achieve the following goals with .suzuki:
1. Alleviating user confusion and improving convenience for Internet users SUZUKI is a global company selling a multitude of products including Manufacturing⁄Selling motorcycles, automobiles, outboard motors, boats, motorized wheelchairs, electro-scooters and industrial eqipment. The company has registered many domain names under various gTLDs and ccTLDs not only for actual use but also as a trademark protection measure. Despite these efforts, there exist many domain name registrations and websites that infringe SUZUKI’s trademarks. As a result, Internet users often have difficulty differentiating bona fide websites from fraudulent ones. Positioning .suzuki as the official domain for the company, and unifying the company⁄brand’s web presence under .suzuki, would provide easy access and interaction, which the company believes would reduce confusion and improve user experience.
2. Marketing ⁄ Branding Since .suzuki is a brand new TLD that directly represents the company⁄brand name, SUZUKI expects it to be a highly effective marketing and branding tool. The company believes that .suzuki will not only reinforce SUZUKI’s brand on the Internet, but also attract people to visit the website because .suzuki domain names make it easier for Internet users to access to the information related to the company.
3. Simplifying domain name management The third purpose for applying for .suzuki is to simplify the management of domain names the company has registered. As stated earlier, SUZUKI has many domain names under the various TLDs, posing a challenge in dealing with different registration and operation rules, log-in systems, etc. .suzuki would make it possible to manage domain names under the .suzuki rules and systems umbrella and would replace various SUZUKI related domain names with .suzuki domain names. As a consequence, it will be safer and easier for the .suzuki stakeholders to manage their domain names.
In order to achieve the goals stated above, the plans for .suzuki domain name registration policies are as follows. All .suzuki TLD registrars and registrants must agree to abide by the policies. Failure to comply with the policies may result in denial, cancelation or transfer of any registration or transaction, or domain name being placed on lock, hold or similar status.
Registration Eligibility Domain name registrations for .suzuki will be limited to the following organizations: 1. SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION 2. Companies listed on the asset securities reports of SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION
Important Note: No individual-basis registrations will be allowed. In other words, the board members, employees, and contract staff of the companies listed above are not permitted to be registrants of .suzuki domain names."
- Delegated String, ICANN.org Retrieved 31 Mar 2015
- Reveal Day 13 June 2012 – New gTLD Applied-For Strings
- Application Download, gTLDresult.ICANN.org Retrieved 19 Feb 2013
- Registry Agreements, ICANN.org Retrieved 21 Feb 2014