|Registry:||Travelers TLD, LLC|
|Priority #:||1026 - Travelers TLD, LLC|
|Parked Domain %:||50.0 %|
|Delegation:||15 December 2015|
The application was issued a GAC Early Warning from the representative of Australia and GAC Chair, Heather Dryden. The warning system is noted as a strong recommendation on behalf of national governments to the ICANN Board that a given TLD application should be denied as it stands. Applicants are encouraged to work with objecting GAC members.
The warning states that the applicant is "seeking exclusive access to a common generic string .. that relates to a broad market sector," which Ms. Dryden notes could have unintended consequences and a negative impact on competition.
The following is excerpted from the applicant's response to question #18:
"Travelers recognized worldwide by our iconic Umbrella trademark, offers a wide variety of insurance and surety products, as well as risk management services, to numerous types of businesses, organizations and individuals. Our products are distributed primarily through U.S. independent insurance agents and brokers. We have an expanding international market presence internationally with business operations in Canada, the U.K., Ireland and a joint venture in Brazil with JMalucelli related to surety insurance opportunities.
- Second-largest writer of commercial U.S. property casualty insurance*
- Third-largest writer of U.S. personal insurance through independent agents*
- Serves millions of customers
- Total assets of approximately $105 billion, shareholders’ equity of $24 billion and total revenue of $25 billion, as of December 31, 2011.
- A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average
- Traded on the NYSE under the symbol “TRV”
- More than 30,000 employees
- Representatives in every U.S. state, Canada, Ireland and the U.K.
- Represented by approximately 13,000 independent agencies and brokerages countrywide
- SNL Statutory Filings. Based on 2010 direct written premium.
We will initially conduct consumer marketing, technical research along with monitoring of market trends and consumer behavior to determine the most effective and secure way for Travelers to market and provide its insurance and financial services through the TLD. During this initial research period, Travelers will not use the TLD to provide any information or services to the public, but reserves the right to use the TLD for internal purposes, including consumer and security-related testing of the TLD for later public use. After the research is completed, Travelers reserves the right to continue to use the TLD only for internal purposes; or if an adequately secure public use is desired and proven viable, to expand use of the TLD accordingly. The proposed .travelersinsurance gTLD is a restricted TLD that would, if ever used with the public, serve the purpose of enhancing and expanding Travelers’ ability to one or more of the following:
- create a connected digital presence and brand experience for clients and business partners;
- deliver product and service marketing⁄advertising;
- facilitate secure interaction and communication with individuals and entities with whom Travelers has a business relationship;
- improve business operations;
- simplify Internet user navigation to information about Travelers products and services; and⁄or
- demonstrate market leadership in protecting client privacy and confidential information online; and meet future client expectations and competitive market demands."
- Reveal Day 13 June 2012 – New gTLD Applied-For Strings
- GAC Early Warning, NewgTLDS.ICANN.org Retrieved 25 Nov 2012
- TraverlersInsurance AU, GACweb.ICANN.org
- Application Download, gTLDresult.ICANN.org Retrieved 22 Feb 2013