|Registry:||Weir Group IP Limited|
|Date Implemented:||17 April 2015|
|Priority #:||1541 - Weir Group IP Limited|
|Parked Domain %:||13.91 %|
|Delegation:||17 April 2015|
.weir is a Brand TLD being proposed in ICANN's New gTLD Program. Weir Group IP Limited manages the TLD and is its Registry. The proposed application succeeded and was delegated to the Root Zone on 17 April, 2015..
The following is excerpted from the applicant's response to question #18:
"THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .WEIR gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .weir gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Weir Group IP Limited (WGIP) can create and control domain spaces that promote its Weir brand identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .weir gTLD will be used by Weir to provide information, services and resources to consumers in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. The .weir gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Weir, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the brand to focus on its customers’ needs through innovation, collaboration and global capability. Second and third level domains can then be utilised for marketing and promotional purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity. Established in 1871, Weir is a leading engineering solutions business based in Scotland. Weir delivers superior products and services to its global consumers in 3 key sectors – minerals, oil & gas and power – through its 3 divisions.
- Weir Minerals is the global leader in the provision of slurry handling equipment and associated spare parts for abrasive high-wear applications used in mining, and niche oil sands and flue gas desulphurisation markets.
- Weir Oil & Gas’ capabilities cover both upstream and downstream requirements from initial drilling and production right through to transportation and refining.
- Weir Power & Industrial has an established reputation for quality engineering. The division has expertise in valves, pumps, turbines and engineered services that enable Weir to offer flow control solutions that enhance efficiencies and reduce downtime in its customers’ facilities. Weir operates in over 70 countries employing over 14,000 people across around 40 manufacturing facilities and over 100 service facilities worldwide. As one of the fastest growing engineering companies in the FTSE 100 in the London Stock Exchange, Weir has a clearly defined strategy to build market presence and deliver outstanding products and services from a platform of operational excellence and customer focus. Weir prioritises customer focus and customer relationships through its 3 principal drivers of growth – innovative action, a collaborative mindset and global capability. In this regard, continuous innovation, collaboration and global capability are paramount considerations in Weir’s activities and its application for the .weir gTLD. WGIP has made separate applications for .spm and .warman to complement the .weir gTLD in promoting Weir’s products and services and its principal drivers of growth. Business activities are increasingly conducted over the internet, allowing for greater levels of interaction between businesses and customers. As a result, both businesses and end users benefit from ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs. However, the development in this arena in the current domain name system has exposed both businesses and consumers to increased criminal activities over the internet, including data breach, hacking and phishing. These sophisticated criminal activities cause reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .weir gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Weir online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction."
- Delegated String, ICANN.org Retrieved 17 Apr 2015
- Reveal Day 13 June 2012 – New gTLD Applied-For Strings
- Application Download, gTLDresult.ICANN.org Retrieved 2 Mar 2013