CcNSO Policy Development Process - IDN Strings
|CcNSO Policy Development Process - IDN Strings|
|Date Established:||May 2020|
|Charter:||[ WG Charter]|
|Workspace:||[ Community Wiki]|
The ccNSO Policy Development Process - (de-) selection of IDN ccTLD Strings (PDP-IDN) working group's goal is to report on and recommend a policy process for the "retirement" (de-selection) of IDN strings associated with country code top-level domains, and to establish a policy for management of variant TLD strings in non-ASCII character sets.
The IDN Fast Track process was developed to enable ccTLD managers to apply for internationalized versions of their country TLD using non-ASCII character sets. The program launched in 2009. In 2013, the ccNSO delivered a final report regarding a policy development process on IDNs. ICANN and the ccNSO both agreed to continue to monitor and evolve the Fast Track program with the mutual understanding that an updated ccNSO policy development process would eventually ensue.
In September 2019, the ccNSO Council notified the ICANN Board that they intended to launch the new policy development process for IDN ccTLD strings, and requested that no further evolution of the Fast Track process be implemented. Via letter back to the Council, the Board acknowledged confirmed this request in October 2019. In the spring of 2020, the ccNSO launched PDP-IDN and sent out a call for members. 
The working group charter describes two central issues to be addressed:
- The management of variant IDN strings; and
- De-selection procedures (comparable to retirement of normal ccTLDs).
Variants of TLD strings are possible within certain character sets such as Arabic or Han. The ICANN Board, in the interests of the stability of the DNS, has issued guidance regarding how and when variant strings will be accepted.
De-selection of IDN strings would, in theory, occur in similar circumstances as retirement of ASCII two-letter ccTLDs; either because of removal of a specific country code from the ISO 3166-1 list, or alterations to a country code not currently on the ISO-3166-1 list (i.e. an exceptionally reserved code such as UK).
- ccNSO - PDP-IDN homepage
- ccNSO Council Letter to Cherine Chalaby, September 4, 2019.
- ccNSO - IDN Working Group 2
- Final Report, ccNSO PDP 2, September 26, 2013
- PDP-IDN Issue Report, May 14, 2020
- ICANN Board Letter to Katrina Sataki, October 31, 2019
- ccNSO PDP-IDN - Basic Schedule and Timeline
- Resolutions of the ccNSO Council - PDP-IDN, April 7 2019
- PDP-IDN Charter, ccNSO Working Group wiki
- ICANN.org - Variant TLD Implementation, July 26, 1028