|Registry:||Dot Global Domain Registry Limited|
|Parked Domain %:||64.85 %|
|Delegation:||06 June 2014|
|General Availability:||09 September 2014|
.global is a proposed new generic top level domain name gTLD to ICANN's New gTLD Program. The Registry is Cloud Names. Their application succeeded and was delegated to the Root Zone on 6 June 2014.
The TLD was originally contested by two applicants, but Donuts withdrew its application in December 2013 after what appears to be a privately negotiated deal, a rarity as most contention sets are being settled either by objections or auctions.
- CloudNames, a Norwegian gTLD consultancy and management services company is an applicant for the TLD. The company aims to use the .global string as a preferred alternative for the .com TLD to enable corporations and organizations market their products and services globally to consumers. CloudNames partnered with Afilias to serve as its back-end registry service provider to ensure the security of the .cloud domain names space by implementing DNSSEC. Rolf Larsen is the CEO of the company.
- Donuts (Goose Falls, LLC)- This is one of the 307 new gTLD applications submitted by Donuts. The company raised $100 million dollars to support the operations of its registry business and its investors are willing to provide additional funding if necessary to ensure the reliability and security of its registry operations. Donuts plans to offer the registration of .global domain names to a wide range of registrants. It will also encourage "inclusiveness" in its registration policy. The company will also implement eight mechanisms to ensure security and intellectual property rights protection. The company partnered with Demand Media to provide back-end registry services, AusRegistry for DNS services and DNSSEC, and Iron Mountain to provide data escrow services. Daniel Schindler, co-founder and EVP for Marketing and Sales of Donuts, is the main contact person in the application. This applicant submitted a Public Interest Commitment, which can be downloaded here.
On 17 April 2014 CloudNames received a Registry Agreement signed by ICANN for .global after passing all the required processes needed to become a Registry Operator for the string.
Delegation and Availability
.global was delegated to the Root Zone of the DNS on 6 June 2014, completing the successful application for the string.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Delegated Strings, ICANN.org Retrieved 13 August 2014
- ↑ Today's New gTLD Passes, Signings, and Withdrawals, DomainIncite Retrieved 30 Dec 2013
- ↑ CloudNames to Replace the Need for .com
- ↑ Donuts Application for .Global
- ↑ Registry Agreements, ICANN.org Retrieved 13 August 2014