INET is a global meeting program arranged by ISOC in which users, policy makers, technologists and operators from all over the world come together to discuss the development of the Internet and other related global issues. The INET Conference is one of the longest running Internet events.
Since 1992, multiple INETs have been held by ISOC each year in specific regions, with the conferences revolving around the issues of that community. As a result, the local communities get close observation of other global issues and come in contact with top class technology experts. The basic purpose of arranging conferences in specific regions include:
- Encouraging participation from multiple stakeholder groups.
- Reduction of barriers such as travel time and cost, which are critical considerations in the developing world.
- Development of each INET agenda in consultation with local representatives to address a range of topics that meet specific needs of the region.
The first INET was held on June 1, 1992 in Kobe, Japan. After that, ISOC started arranging INETs nearly annually, and now arranges them multiple times a year. Past and future INET meetings and their venues are listed below:
Conferences in 2011 & Future
- INET Frankfurt held on 23 February 2011.
- INET Lima held from 23 to 24 March 2011.
- INET Rabat held on 10 May 2011.
- INET Colombo held from 23 to 24 May 2011.
- INET New York held on 14 June 2011.
- INET Cotonou held on 14 September 2011.
- INET Philadelphia held on 05 October 2011.
- INET Bangalore expected on 04 November 2011.
- PacINET Pago expected from 07 to 11 November 2011.
- INET Bucharest expected on 09 November 2011.
- INET San Jose expected on 30 November 2011.
- Global INET, Geneva expected from 22 to 24 April 2012.
- INET Puert Rico held on 16 December 2010 in Peurto Rico.
- INET Singapore held from 18 to 19 November 2010.
- INET Tunis held on 28 October 2010.
- INET Beirut held on 14 October 2010.
- INET London held on 29 Sep 2010.
- PacINET 2010 held from 13 to 17 September 2010 in USP Emalus Campus, Port Vila, Vanuatu.
- INET Montevideo held on 02 July 2010.
- INET Cape Town held on 24 May 2010.
- INET San Francisco held on 07 May 2010.
- INET Washington DC held on 29 April 2010.
- INET Hong Kong held from 13 to 14 April 2010.
- INET Dakar held from 3 to 4 November.
- INET Latin America held in Buenos Aires, Argentina, from 14 to 15 October 2009.
- INET Delhi held on 17 September 2009.
- PacINET 2009 held in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, from 07 to 10 September 2009.
- INET Kuala Lumpur held on 20 July 2009.
- INET Latin America held in Panama City, Panama on 29 May 2009.
- INET Africa held in Cairo, Egypt on 18 May 2009.
- INET Africa Regional Conference held in Dakar, Senegal on 16 October 2008.
- PacINET 2008 held in Raratonga, Cook Islands from 1 to 5 September 2008.
- INET Africa Regional Conference held in Rabat, Morocco on 06 June 2008.
- PacINET 2007 held in Honiara, Solomon Islands from 15 to 21 August 2007.
- INET Africa Regional Conference held in Abuja, Nigeria on 04 May 2007.
- INET Africa Regional Conference held in Mauritius, on 30 November 2006.
- PacINET 2006 held in Apia, Samoa from 21 to 26 August 2006.
- INET Africa Regional Conference held in Nairobi, Kenya on 08 May 2006.
- PacINET 2005 held in Kiribati, Pacific Islands on 22 August 2005.
- PacINET 2004 held in Port Vila, Vanuatu from 23 to 27 August 2004.
- INET/IGC 2004 held in Barcelona, Spain from 10 to 14 May 2004.
- PacINET 2003 held in Noumea, New Caledonia on 23 October 2003.
- PacINET 2002 held in Nadi, Fiji on 01 October 2002.
- INET 2002 held in Arlington VA, United States from 18 to 21 June 2002.
- INET 2001 held in Stockholm, Sweden from 5 to 8 June 2001.
- INET 2000 held in Yokohama, Japan from 18 to 21 July 2000.
- INET'99 held in San Jose, California, United States on 22 to 25 June 1999.
- INET'98 held in Geneva, Switzerland from 21 to 24 July 1998.
- INET'97 held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from 24 to 27 June 1997.
- INET'96 held in Montreal, Canada from 15 to 28 June 1996.
- INET'95 held in Honolulu, Hawaii, United States from 27 to 30 June 1995.
- First Internet Society Summit (INET) held in San Diego, California United States from 11 to 12 April 1995.
- INET'94 held in Prague, Czech Republic from 13 to 17 June 1994.
- Network Training Workshop for Technologically Emerging Countries (INET) held in Prague Czech Republic from 05 to 11 June 1994.
- INET'92 Proceedings held in Kobe, Japan on 1 June 1992.