|Stakeholder Group(s):||Civil Society/Non-Governmental|
Jo is is a NextGen@ICANN participant currently based in Cape Town, South Africa.
- 1 Personal
- 2 Career History
- 2.1 Head of Marketing, Africa - iflix (March 2017-Present)
- 2.2 Senior Marketing & Communications Manager, Africa - Opera (June 2014-March 2017)
- 2.3 General Manager, Africa - Mobile Ecosystem Forum (March 2013-June 2014)
- 2.4 Associate Consultant, Consultant and Senior Consultant, Africa - africapractice (April 2007- March 2013)
- 3 ICANN and Internet Governance Participation
- 4 Education
- 5 Publications
- 6 Awards
British by birth, Jo has worked across Africa in Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa. She's a passionate communicator, writer and technophile. When she isn't travelling or playing with gadgets you'll find her cooking or playing guitar. Talk to her about digital inclusion, fake news and online echo chambers.
Jo has worked in the African mobile and internet space for ten years and is passionate about the benefits the internet can bring and has already brought to many. She also has a research interest in the contrary perspective of how it can be used as a tool for control and deception. Jo’s expertise sits at the intersect of communications strategy, marketing and internet technologies. She is also currently studying for a Masters degree in Intelligence and Security with a focus on online propaganda, fake news and internet PSYOPs.
Head of Marketing, Africa - iflix (March 2017-Present)
Jo is currently heading up marketing for iflix in Africa. iflix is launching a "really cool internet TV thing" at low prices across emerging markets. It is better than piracy and cheaper than piracy.
Senior Marketing & Communications Manager, Africa - Opera (June 2014-March 2017)
As a Senior Manager at Opera, an internet company best known for Opera Mini, Africa's most popular mobile browser, Jo led on growth, partnerships and comms activity in Africa.
General Manager, Africa - Mobile Ecosystem Forum (March 2013-June 2014)
The Mobile Ecosystem Forum (MEF) is a global trade body that works towards a sustainable and trusted mobile industry through the provision of inclusive mobile services.
Associate Consultant, Consultant and Senior Consultant, Africa - africapractice (April 2007- March 2013)
africapractice is a strategy and communications consultancy. In London, Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa, Jo consulted to a variety of multinationals and African governments such as Google, Turner, Gateway Communications, BlackBerry, Diageo and the Governments of Kenya and Rwanda.
ICANN and Internet Governance Participation
- MA Intelligence and Security (University of Leicester) - Ongoing
- Post Grad. Cert Psychology (London Metropolitan) - 2013
- MA Mass Communication (University of Leicester) - 2010
- BA Joint Hons Linguistics & Social Anthropology (School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London) - 2007
Best Disruptive Innovation (Opera, Sponsored Web Pass) - AppsAfrica 2015