|Email:||info [at] taugh.com|
John R. Levine, best known as the author of "The Internet for Dummies," writes, speaks, and consults on the Internet, electronic mail, cybersecurity, and related topics. He has been a member of the ICANN Security and Stability Advisory Committee since 2017, was a member of ICANN's ALAC from 2005 to 2007, and of the 2015 ICANN Nominating Committee. He was on the .mobi Policy Advisory Board.
He speaks to many trade, policy, and general groups. He's spoken at the Federal Trade Commission spam forum, the International Telecommunications Union thematic meeting on spam, and the Internet Law and Policy Forum as well as to CBS television, Minnesota Power, the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Alex. Brown &: Sons, Hewlett-Packard Mexico, and IBM Canada.
He's also served as an expert witness in civil and criminal legal action, including the October 2004 trial of Jeremy Jaynes, convicted of criminal spamming, and Field vs. Google in 2006.
From 2004 to 2007 John Levine was the Mayor of the Village of Trumansburg NY. From March 1999 was an elected member of the Village's governing board of trustees. He also acted as commissioner of the water and sewer departments. He's worked on utility regulation, including cable TV franchise renegotiation and cellular tower regulation, and upgrades to village-owned utility infrastructure. As mayor, he supervised the village's staff of 12 full time and about 40 part time employees.
Dr. Levine holds two degrees from Yale University. He has a B.A., 1975, in Computer Science, and a PhD, 1984, Computer Science, advised by A.J. Perlis. His thesis was A Data Base System for Small Interactive Computers in which he developed one of the earliest report-by-example systems and a pioneering outline document editor.
- Board member and corporate secretary of the Internet Society, 2016 - Present
- Senior Technical Advisor of Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group, 2005 - Present.
- The Chair of the Internet Research Task Force's Anti-Spam Research Group (ASRG), 2003- 2011.
- President of the Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail, 2008- Present.
- Moderator of the comp.compilers usenet group, 1986- Present.
- Co-founder of the Domain Assurance Council, 2006- 2010.
- Partner in Blackvine Consulting, G.P., 2005 - 2007.
- Publisher and editor at The Journal of C Language Translation, 1993 - 1996.
- Co-founder at Segue Software , 1989 - 2006.
- Senior MTS at Javelin Software, 1984 - 1987.
- Principal developer/ Interactive Systems Corp., 1979 - 1984.