|Organization:||University Of The West Indies Cave Hill Campus|
|Region:||Latin America and the Caribbean|
Shamar Ward is currently a PhD Candidate in Computer Science at The University of The West Indies, Cave Hill Campus (UWICHC) and is a Demonstrator/Graduate Teaching Assistant. He is also an IT Officer (Operations) at the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB).
Shamar Ward is currently a Ph.D. Candidate at The University of The West Indies (UWI) where he gained a Double Major Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science in 2014. Mr. Ward has had research published by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and The Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) focusing on smart technologies. Additionally, Mr. Ward has given presentations at the Lebanese University, Beirut, Lebanon and at the IAEA United Nations (UN) headquarters in Vienna Austria and at an European Alliance for Innovation (EAI) conference in Hangzhou China on green computing. Mr Ward is currently an IT Officer (Operations) at the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) and has held other regional posts such as Analyst/Programmer at the Caribbean Examination Council (CXC) and IT Specialist at The Caribbean Institute For Meteorology & Hydrology (CIMH). Mr. Ward was a recipient of the Internet Society(ISOC) Fellowship to the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) 102, Internet Society(ISOC) Fellowship - IoT for policymakers and a recipient of the Internet Cooperation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) NextGen@ICANN, 61 fellowship. He has also participated in other IG initiatives such as 2018 ISOC Chapterton on safe IoT usage and was also certified in an ISOC course on Building Wireless Community Networks. Additionally, Mr. Ward who was formerly Barbados` Youth Ambassador to CARICOM (2015 – 2018) participated in regional and Local IG initiatives such as CARICOM Girls in ICT Day, and was a panelist at 2018 and 2019 Barbados Youth Internet Governance Forums(IGFs).
- 2017 – Present The University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus Ph.D. Computer Science
- 2014 - 2017 The University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus M.Phil Computer Science (Upgraded)
- 2011 - 2014 The University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus B.Sc Computer Science (Double Major) (Hons)
(1) S. Ward and M. Gittens, "Building useful smart campus applications using a retired cell phone repurposing model," 2018 Third International Conference on Electrical and Biomedical Engineering, Clean Energy and Green Computing (EBECEGC), Beirut, Lebanon, 2018, pp. 43-48. URL: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=8357131&isnumber=8357120
(2) Shamar A. Ward and Mechelle Gittens. 2016. Monitoring and Analyzing Wi-Fi Availability and Performance on a University Campus Using Recycled Cell Phones to Aid Students in Selecting Study Areas. In Proceedings of the 2016 ACM on SIGUCCS Annual Conference (SIGUCCS '16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 147-152. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1145/2974927.2974929
(3) Shamar Akio Ward and Mechelle Gittens. 2015. A Real-time Application to Predict and Notify Students about the Present and Future Availability of Workspaces on a University Campus. In Proceedings of the 2015 ACM Annual Conference on SIGUCCS (SIGUCCS '15). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 67-74. DOI=http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2815546.2815563
- Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Fellowship Montreal 102 - https://www.internetsociety.org/leadership/fellowship-to-ietf/fellows/
- Finalist in the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Young Innovative Communicators Competition on Communicating Nuclear and Radiological Emergencies to the Public
- NextGen@ICANN, ICANN61 | San Juan
- Barbados`s Ambassador To Caribbean Community (CARICOM) - 2015 - 2018.
- 3rd Place in Microsoft C# Mobile Application Development competition - https://issuu.com/uwichill/docs/chill_50th/8.