|Headquarters:||Singel 468 D|
Amsterdam, 1017 AW
| Karel Vietsch, Secretary General|
TERENA or The Trans-European Research and Education Networking Association works on improving the education sector through implementation of Internet developments in the field. It provides the basic platform for researchers and networking professionals for communication and understanding of the upcoming technology.
The association has been around since 1986, and has special dedication towards the technologies including Internet research, Middle ware, Authentication and Authorisation, Grid Technology, IPv6, Infrastructure, Mobility, Monitoring, Optical Networking, Outreach, Security, Voice and Video. It arranges technology related conferences and competitions every year all around the world.
TERENA publishes a number of reports, papers and compendiums regarding education, technology and economics. The complete list of publications can be seen here.
On June 13, 1986 an organization was formed called RARE (Réseaux Associés pour la Recherche Européenne). It was responsible for the management of networking facilities in Europe. In 1992, RARE made an organization named Réseaux IP Européens - RIPE to maintain Internet Protocol and Data Networking. Later, RIPE split, with the prior functions being overseen by RIPE NCC. In 1994, the European Academic and Research Network - EARN got merged with RARE. Since then, RARE has been called TERENA.
TERENA's structure consists of number of management bodies:
- General Assembly - GA, holds highest authority, maintains TERENA policies.
- Executive Committee - TEC, management of the organisation.
- Technical committee - TTC, supervises TERENA Technical Program.
- Technical Advisory Council - TAC, improves tasks performed.
- Secretariat- carries out everyday activities.
The organization is responsible for four major tasks:
- Providing a basic forum for the promotion of Internet developments in Europe;
- Conducting TERENA technical program for joint development of new networks and technologies;
- Organizing competitions, conferences and seminars;
- Representing members' interest in front of government and other funding organizations