|Priority #:||524 - Asia Spa and Wellness Promotion Council Limited|
1374 - Top Level Domain Holdings
1696 - Donuts (Foggy Sunset, LLC)
- Donuts (Foggy Sunset, LLC), has applied for 307 new TLDs. This applicant submitted a Public Interest Commitment, which can be downloaded here.
- Asia Spa and Wellness Promotion Council Limited, Community Priority Application
- Top Level Domain Holdings Ltd. filed for 68 TLDs on its own behalf. This applicant submitted a Public Interest Commitment, which can be downloaded here.
There is one community priority application for .spa, from Asia Spa and Wellness Promotion Council Limited (ASWPC). It is "connected with over 400 licensed spas across Asia and over 2000 spa professionals participating in and attending its events." While the organization is focused on Asia, they intend to operate the TLD as an open, international community space for all members of the spa community, which includes Spa operators, professionals and practitioners, Spa associations and their members, and spa products and services manufacturers and distributors. The ASWPC will create an International Registry board to oversee the registration policies for the TLD.
Objection from Belgium government
The government of Belgium objected to the .spa string within the GAC, as the small city of Spa in Belgium is also the origin for the English word Spa. The GAC did not offer consensus advice on the string, and thus it was up to ICANN to decide whether to take into account Belgium's objections or let the application proceed.
One applicant, Asia Spa and Wellness Promotion Council, decided that if it wins the .spa TLD, it will set aside a portion of the revenue in order to promote the city of Spa. Donuts, the other applicant, did not acknowledge the objection by the Belgium government and will not set aside profits from the .spa TLD if their company wins the contention set.
In May 2014, ICANN announced they would allow the .Spa applications to proceed as-is, noting that the GAC did not present consensus advice. The contention set will now have to be resolved through some type of auction.
- gTLD Application Update 92 applications submitted, TLDH.org
- TLDh withdrawing 4 new gTLD applications fee sale spa zulu en.PaperBlog.com Retrieved 9 May 2013
- Application 1-1309-81322
- ICANN Snubs Belgium and Give Donuts the All-Clear for .spa, DomainIncite Retrieved 19 May 2014