|Industry:||Internet Performance Solutions|
|Headquarters:||Manchester, New Hampshire|
|Jeremy Hitchcock, CEO|
Graham Chynoweth, COO
Dyn (pronounced “dine”) is a cloud-based Internet Performance company. Dyn helps companies monitor, control, and optimize online infrastructure for an exceptional end-user experience. Dyn is the leading Internet Performance provider to the most visited web properties in the world, as measured by the Alexa 1000, including Twitter, Netflix, Pandora, Zappos, CNBC, Etsy, BT, Hershey, The Guardian and Seeking Alpha. Their Internet Performance product suite includes Dyn Internet Intelligence, IP Transit Intelligence, Traffic Director, Managed DNS and Managed DNS Express. Dyn also offers Domain services and Email products. Dyn’s corporate headquarters are located in Manchester, NH, USA, with offices in Brighton, UK, Sydney, Australia, San Francisco, CA, USA and Hanover, NH, USA.
Dyn began as a free service running out of Worcester Polytechnic Institute. It was called DynDNS and offered users a DNS service capable of hosting a website from a home computer. As the business continued to grow, it shifted from a free model to a donation-based model, which enabled them to make $40,000 in weeks, from users around the world. The donation based model continued until a premium service called the DynECT Platform became available in 2008. The DynECT Platform offered advanced DNS related services to customers including but not limited to: Round Robin Load Balancing, CDN Management, Traffic Management, and Active Failover. The service was mainly geared toward enterprise-level consumers.
In 2010, Dyn purchased the Manchester, New Hampshire-based SendLabs. This acquisition allowed Dyn to begin offering message management services. This combination of traffic management and message management services allows Dyn to bill itself as a provider of internet performance solutions.
Dyn offers a suite of Internet Performance products, as well as supporting services, such as Domain and Email Services that complement these core competencies.
- Internet Performance: Monitor and Analyze
- IP Transit Intelligence, Dyn Internet Intelligence
- Internet Performance: Control and Optimize
- Traffic Director, Managed DNS, Managed DNS Express
- Domain and Email Services
$38 million Minority Investment
In October 2012, it was announced that Dyn had received a $38 million Series A minority investment from North Bridge. The investment deal also expanded the Board of Directors for the company, which was originally staffed by only two of Dyn's founders. The Board now includes: Jeremy Hitchcock, Michael Boustridge, Jason Calacanis, Scott Dussault, Ric Fulop, John Lynch, and Russ Pyle.
On December 23, 2013, Dyn announced it had acquired ReadyStatus, a tool that notifies customers of planned and unplanned service interruptions, thereby creating improved communication between end users and companies. The company has many plans for this new service, one of which includes integrating ReadyStatus with Dyn Managed DNS advanced feature Traffic Director, so if a company’s site goes down, their homepage can automatically failover to a status update page and end users won’t be left in the dark. Dyn customers should expect general availability and complete integration into the future product suite in the next year.
On May 13, 2013, Dyn announced it had acquired Trendslide, a mobile dashboard app startup. The acquisition expands Dyn’s services to now include mobile data and analytics offerings for online businesses. While this mobile app was traditionally intended to be a sales/marketing tool, Dyn will now position it as a DevOps tool for its customers. This move, combined with the acquisition of Verelo in late 2012 and the hiring of Pete Cheslock as Dyn Director of Dev Tools and the promotion of Carl Levine to DevOps Evangelist, is proof that Dyn is committed to being an important voice and part of the DevOps community.
On January 2 2013, Dyn announced that it had acquired Verelo, a Toronto-based website monitoring start-up. Just a few weeks prior, Verelo announced to the public that it would be closing down six months after its launch as it did not have the resources to gain traction and take the company to the next level. Dyn subsequently approached the company and made an undisclosed offer that provided for a return to Verelo's initial investors. The company offers website uptime and performance analytics as well as malware detection and site health monitoring services, and given that Dyn's mantra is "Uptime is the Bottom Line", the acquisition will be used to offer a number of new services to its customers at no extra charge.
Add Nettica Acquisition: Dyn announced on March 26, 2014 that it had acquired Nettica, a US-based managed DNS provider.
Dyn announced on May 21, 2014 that it had acquired Renesys, the authority on Internet intelligence. This acquisition enabled Dyn to launch Dyn Internet Intelligence and IP Transit Intelligence, to give customers the insight to make instant, intelligent decisions to improve the performance of their Internet enabled applications.
Dyn maintains associations with the following organizations -
- Community College System of NH
- ABI (Amoskeag Business Incubator)
- Stay Work Play
- US First
Awards and Recognition
- Named as one of Achievers 50 Most Engaged Workplaces in the United States on January 14, 2014.
- In November 2013, Dyn was listed as #210 on Deloitte's Technology Fast 500 List.
- Listed as #1135 on the famed Inc. 5000 list in 2013, Dyn's third consecutive year in making it on the list.
- Recognized by WorldBlu as one of the Most Democratic Places Workplaces of 2013.
- Dyn Products, Dyn.com
- Dyn Raises 38 million from North Bridge and Jason Calacanis Joins Its Board, AllThingsD.com
- Dyn acquires service status tool ReadyStatus to integrate into its Internet performance offerings
- “Infrastructure as a service” company Dyn acquires Trendslide for mobile monitoring
- Verelo Dyn Acquisition, TechCrunch.com
- Nettica Dyn Acquisition, Dyn.com
- Renesys Dyn Acquisition, Dyn.com
- North American Network Operators' Group
- Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers
- Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group
- abi INNOVATION HUB
- New Hampshire High Technology Council
- The Achievers 50 Most Engaged Workplaces™ Awards
- The Achievers 50 Most Engaged Workplaces™ Awards
- Dyn Profile on Inc. 5000
- The WorldBlu List