|Date Implemented:||27 February 2014|
|Parked Domain %:||0.73 %|
|Delegation:||27 February 2014|
|General Availability:||14 July 2014|
.bar is a delegated TLD in ICANN's New gTLD Program. This string, applied for by two applicants as a generic application, was deemed a Geographic TLD by ICANN's Geographic Names Panel, referring to a commune in Montenegro. Geo TLDs must have government support in order to pass evaluation and proceed towards delegation. The proposed application succeeded and was delegated to the Root Zone on 27 February 2014.
- Punto 2012 Sociedad Anonima de Capital Variable, applied for the string as geographical TLD for the city of Barcelona. They have contracted CentralNic as their technical provider.
- Demand Media (United TLD|United TLD Holdco Ltd.), this one of the 26 gTLDs applied for by the company.  The application was withdrawn in July 2013.
Public Comment Objection
Saudi Arabia's Communications and Information Technology Commission (CITC) filed an objection against the TLD in the public comment forum. The comment forum does not require payment for a comment or objection, thus it did not require the ICDR or the ICC to determine an outcome. The comment was taken into consideration by the Initial Evaluation panels.
On 12 December 2013 Punto 2012 Sociedad Anonima de Capital Variable received a Registry Agreement signed by ICANN for .bar after passing all the required processes needed to become a Registry Operator for the string.
Delegation and Availability
- Reveal Day 13 June 2012 – New gTLD Applied-For Strings
- Told You So Four New gTLDs Given Geographic Surprise others Given a Pass, DomainIncite.com Retrieved 7 Mar 2013
- Delegated Strings, ICANN.org Retrieved 5 March 2014
- United TLD
- Demand Media Withdraws Bar Application, DomainIncite.comPublished 8 July 2013, Retrieved 10 July 2013
- Saudi Arabia Apparently Objects to .Catholic, .Gay, .Bible, and 28 More Proposed New Top-Level Domains, slate.com
- Ten More New gTLDs Get ICANN Contracts, DomainIncite Retrieved 13 Dec 2013