Address Supporting Organization
The Address Supporting Organization (ASO) is one of ICANN's Supporting Organizations. It is a formal advisory body to the ICANN Board, reviewing and developing policy recommendations concerning IP Address policy.
Established in 1999, the ASO is composed of representatives from each of the five autonomous Regional Internet Registries (RIRs), which form the Address Council (AC). Three representatives are appointed from each RIR, which have their own independent election processes. The Council then elects a chair who appoints the vice-chairs.
The AC is responsible for appointing two voting members to the ICANN Board. 
In July, 1999, when the three Regional Internet Registries which existed then, APNIC, ARIN, and RIPE NCC submitted their proposal for the creation of the ASO on the basis of the Memorandum of Understanding; which allows for the creation of a body such as the ASO as an extension of the NRO.
ICANN approved the proposal at its meeting in Chile, and the ASO was subsequently created in October, 1999, when the representatives of APNIC, ARIN, RIPE NCC and ICANN signed the MoU. LACNIC was later recognized as the 4th RIR and it signed the agreement on October 30th, 2002. The Memorandum of Understanding was modified in October, 2004, and signed by ICANN and the NRO, which signed on behalf of all the RIRs. When ICANN decided to recognize AfriNIC as the fifth global RIR the representatives of AfriNIC signed the MoU, and it was incorporated as the 5th NRO member.
ASO Address Council
The main responsibilities of ASO Address Council are:
- Fulfilling its role in the global policy development process based on the requirements included in this process;
- Maintaining communication with ICANN and providing recommendations related to various policies and RIR recognition;
- Ensuring full support, guidance and advice for ICANN's Board related to the allocation policy for number resource;
- The development of procedures for business management and support their responsibilities especially in the case of Address Council Chair. 
Address Council Members
- Filiz Yilmaz, Chair, RIPE NCC, Jan 2014 - 31 Dec 2016
- Louis Lee, Vice-Chair, ARIN, Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2018
- Ricardo Patara, Vice-Chair, LACNIC, Jan 2013 - 31 Dec 2015
- Fiona Asonga*, AFRINIC, Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017
- Omo Oaiya*, AFRINIC, Apr 2017 - 31 Dec 2019
- Douglas Onyango, AFRINIC, Jan 2015 - 31 Dec 2017
- Brajesh Jain, APNIC, Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2018
- Tomohiro Fujisaki, APNIC, Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2017
- Aftab Siddiqui*, APNIC, Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017
- Jason Schiller, ARIN, Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2019
- Kevin Blumberg*, ARIN, Jan 2017 - 31 December 2017
- Jorge Villa, LACNIC, Jan 2015 - 31 Dec 2017
- Hartmut Glaser*, LACNIC, Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2018
- Nurani Nimpuno, RIPE NCC, Jan 2016 - 31 Dec 2018
- Wilfried Woeber* RIPE NCC, Jan 2015 - 31 Dec 2015
*RIR appointed member to the ASO AC
ICANN Board members
Consistent with the ASO Memorandum of Understanding and ICANN Bylaws, the Address Supporting Organization Address Council (ASO AC) is responsible for appointing Seats, 9 and 10 to the ICANN Board of Directors. For more information about the selection processes for current and previous appointments please follow the link.