|Type:||Private, not-for-profit Cooperative|
|Dr. Jörg Schweiger, Member, Executive Board, CEO|
Andreas Musielak, Member, Executive Board, COO
DENIC operates around 16 million domain names.
The .de registry originally dates back to November 5th, 1986, where it began in an academic environment.
- 1986 The country code .de for Germany is entered in the IANA database
- 1994 Karlsruhe University takes over the name server service for .de in the name of IV-DENIC
- 1996 The DENIC Cooperative is founded
- 1997 DENIC starts operation at its new headquarters in Frankfurt am Main
- 1999 DENIC takes over technical domain administration and thus renders all services around .de
- 1999 The threshold of one million .de domains is passed
- 2000 DENIC members reach 100.
- 2003 DENIC members reach 200.
- 2004 DENIC allows umlauts and special characters (IDNs) to be used in domain names and makes available the name server service under IPv6.
- 2005 DENIC Submits Bid for Management of .net TLD.
- 2006 A total of 10 million .de domains registered.
- 2009 DENIC launches one- and two-character domains and domains composed exclusively of numerals.
- 2010 DENIC introduces the letter “eszett”. Now the complete German alphabet is permitted for domain names under .de.
- 2011 DENIC launches the secure extension DNSSEC for the .de zone.
- 2012 over 15 million .de domains are under management by DENIC.
- 2013 With the Redemption Grace Period (RGP), DENIC introduces a 30-day waiting period for deleted domains.
- 2014 DANE and DNSSEC secure DENICs e-mail communication by channel encryption
- 2015 The threshold of 16 million .de domains is passed