|Priority #:||365 - tldbox GmbH|
|Richard Wein, Managing Director|
|Parked Domain %:||36.89 %|
|Delegation:||22 May 2014|
|General Availability:||16 September 2014|
.versicherung is a new gTLD delegated in ICANN's New gTLD Program on 22 May 2014. It is managed by tldbox Gmbh, a sister company of the Austrian registry nic.at.
"Versicherung" is a German word and means "insurance". The TLD was created for the use in the insurance industries in Austria, Germany, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.
The initiative to develop the .versicherung domain name space was led by Matthias Pfeifer and Managing Director Axel Schwiersch. On January 11th, 2017 ICANN accepted the takeover by tldbox GmbH which has become the official registry since then.
The following is an excerpt from the applicant's response to question #18:
"The .VERSICHERUNG TLD is intended to serve the insurance community in the countries Austria, Germany, Liechtenstein and Switzerland. The .VERSICHERUNG TLD and its domains names shall support suppliers with memorable domain names and facilitate consumers to intuitively find insurance information on the Internet and shall contribute to more quality, reliability and consumer trust in insurance topics on the Internet.
The new domain names available with .VERSICHERUNG are concise and create a unique and individual identity for the community’s members. Those providing and looking for information, goods and services can thus intuitively come together. The .VERSICHERUNG domain names strengthen the identification amongst community members, improve communication and make interaction easier, thus providing a stimulus for innovation and development. For both the insurance community as well as consumer .VERSICHERUNG domain names will become an attractive address to visit.
The allocation of .VERSICHERUNG domain names shall incorporate, in a fair and transparent manner, the many and varied interests of the insurance community in the top-level domain .VERSICHERUNG. The .VERSICHERUNG policies shall ensure that all community members may benefit individually by a unique identity with a .VERSICHERUNG domain name.
The registration of .VERSICHERUNG domains is restricted to eligible insurance community members. These members are registered insurance companies, registered insurance agents and intermediaries as well as governmental agencies of the insurance community.
The .VERSICHERUNG TLD is not a “financial TLD” as defined by the HSTLD group since it is not intended to be used primarily to perform financial transactions offered by recognized financial institutions including banks, saving associations, investment houses, and insurance companies. This has been discussed as well with the respective GAC representatives (from Germany, Switzerland and Austria). German authorities are involved in this TLD: In March 2012 the dotversicherung-registry GmbH received an award of the “initiative medium-sized businesses” for innovation and a high value of benefit for medium-sized businesses in Germany. The patrons of this initiative are IBM and the appointee of the German Government for information technology (Bundesbeauftragte für Informationstechnik der Bundesregierung, BSI) in Germany. This certificate has been awarded for the concept of a .VERSICHERUNG TLD to dotversicherung-registry GmbH.
According to the .VERSICHERUNG registration policies, the following entities can register a second-level domain name under .VERSICHERUNG. The entity must be based in Austria, Germany, Liechtenstein or Switzerland:
- Governmental organizations regulating the insurance industry - Organizations and individuals (sole proprietors) that are recognized and registered members of the insurance industry community: - - Primary insurers, reinsurers and social insurers with an authorization within the legal framework for the insurance industry in the respective countries. - - Insurance agents and intermediaries with an authorization within the legal framework for the insurance industry in the respective countries. - - At an official public register registered associations and educational institutions of the insurance industry.
The eligibility will be determined by a validation of the registrant of a .VERSICHERUNG domain name. It will be checked in the official and public registers of insurance intermediaries if the registrant is a member of the insurance community."
- On 20 March 2014 Dotversicherung-registry GmbH received a Registry Agreement signed by ICANN for .versicherung after passing all the required processes needed to become a Registry Operator for the string.
- On 11 January 2017 tldbox GmbH took over the new role as registry which was officially approved by ICANN on 11/01/2017
Delegation and Availability
.versicherung was delegated to the Root Zone of the DNS on 22 May, 2014, completing the successful application for the string.
- ↑ Application Download, gTLDresult.ICANN.org Retrieved 16 Feb 2013
- ↑ Registry Agreements, ICANN.org Retrieved 2 June 2014
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named