- Create a user account
- Please feel free to experiment, it's a Wiki and pretty much everything can always be corrected. The Sandbox is a great place to play around.
Creating a New Page
Creating a new page is done by adding the desired destination to the end of the ICANNWiki.org URL; so, in order to create a page for Apple, you would add the desired destination (the "Apple" page) to the end of http://icannwiki.org/ - so it would become http://icannwiki.org/Apple - you then have the option of creating the page by entering text and saving it. Importing either the Company Template or the People Template.
An easy way to create a new page is to enter a search for the page you want to create. Enter your desired page name in the search bar. The search results should not return any exact page title matches. You will see text just under the search bar that reads: "Create the page "[Example Page]" on this wiki!" Click on your page name in that text. It should look like the screenshot below:
Creating Neutral Content
- Write from a Neutral Point of View (NPOV)
- Do not include promotional material; the point is to educate not sell
- It is ok to use images that are in the public domain or under a creative commons license. It is also ok to use company logos.
- It is also ok to use content from ICANNWiki.org (the older version of this site), but much of it has been written from a promotional point of view and will need to be converted to NPOV.
- Do not copy text or images from other websites; writing must be original. Read, understand, and then create your own content.
- Using an internal link is always good, so, as an example, instead of defining an acronym like this "ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers)", just use "[[ICANN]]" and then we'll define ICANN on that page.
- Another important note on linking is the ability to create a link for a term that is different from the destination page, that is, you can say "Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers" but still link to the ICANN page. The formatting for this is:
[[ICANN|Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers]]
Notice the | straight bar (shift+\) that separates the destination page (the ICANN article) with the term you are linking to that page with (Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers).
This allows you to switch between the acronym and proper title of an organization, or between different titles a person may hold, while still linking to a consistent page.