Clyde Beattie is CEO of a number of companies, and has investments and leadership roles in a number of other organizations. He is CEO of Yorkland Group, a capital and management focused corporation; was Founder and CEO of Aloak Corporation, a web applications developer and web host; and Founder and CEO of Execulink Internet Services, a Canadian ISP.
Mr. Beattie is also former Chairman of the Canadian ccTLD manager, CIRA. He assumed the role as Chair of the International Foundation For Online Responsibility (IFFOR), the sponsoring organization of the .xxx domain, in November, 2011. The outgoing Chairman, Stuart Lawley, was seen as compromising the independence of the organization given that he is also CEO of the .xxx registry, ICM Registry. Mr. Beattie was already a member of IFFOR's Board of Directors.
In a letter dated December 8th, 2011, Clyde Beattie, along with twenty-seven other domain name industry representatives, wrote to Sen. Jay Rockefeller and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison to support ICANN's new gTLD program, in response to the Senate Hearings taking place on the same day. They supported ICANN's argument that the program would be innovative and economically beneficial, and noted that the program took a diverse group of international stakeholders years to develop. The letter can be found here.
- Serial Entrepreneur, Investor and Leader for 30 years.
- Start-up Ventures in Retail, Wholesale, Industrial and Tech Internet sectors.
- Senior Management and Corporate Governance in Public, Private and Not-For-Profit sectors.
- Active Collaborator on International DNS Governance Policy development.
- Leadership roles as Investor, Senior Officer, Director and Board Chair in a variety of private and
- public sector SMEs and multi-stakeholder Not-For-Profit organizations.
- Mentor and Advisor to Entrepreneurs, Small Business, Not-For-Profits and Professionals.
Occupation & Experience
Pro Bono Activities
- Represented CIRA at 12 global ICANN conferences 2004-2008
- Represented IFFOR at 3 global ICANN conferences 2010-2012
- Canadian Internet Registry Authority CIRA The .CA Top-Level Domain
- - Past-Chairman (ex-officio) 2007-2008
- - Chairman (elected annually) 2004-2006
- - Director (appointed by Gov't of Canada) 2001-2006
- Fanshawe College; School of Information Technology College
- - Advisory Committee Member 2010-cont.
- Canadian Association of Internet Providers, (CAIP), (ISP)
- - Director (elected) 2000-2003
Current Business Interests
- Yorkland Investments Management Corp - Private investment and holding company
- - Principal, Director & CEO 1982–cont.
- Maglin Site Furniture Inc. - Commercial Site Furniture Manufacturer
- - Principal, Director & CEO 1995–cont.
- Antris Registry Corp. - Web registry application in development
- - Principal, Director & CEO 2010-con't
- - Chairman 2011- con't
Past Business Interests
- Aloak Inc. - Domain Registrar, Web Design & Hosting
- - Principal, President & CEO 2000-2005 successfully sold
- Execulink Internet Services Ltd. (ISP)
- - Principal, President & CEO 1994-1999 successfully sold
- Honored by Canada's Minister of Industry and CANARIE,
- Canada's Advanced Internet organization, for contribution to the founding and
- building of the dot-ca domain. 2001
- “There are few entrepreneurs like Clyde. He is a true visionary and has a
- great understanding of "the next big thing" on the internet. His selfless
- dedication on ICANN, and CIRA demonstrate his commitment to the
- internet community as well.” February 17, 2011
- Colin Campbell, CEO, Hostopia
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt