|Manager:||Suhub Electronic Establishment.|
|Priority #:||75 - Suhub Electronic Establishment|
On 04 October 2013, Suhub Electronic Establishment received a Registry Agreement signed by ICANN for .موقع after passing the Initial Evaluation. Their application succeeded and was delegated to the Root Zone on 28 May 2014. It went on general availability in January 2015, and quickly achieved 3,000 registrations.
As of 2015, the majority of registrations for the gTLD -- about 80% -- were held by KuwaitNet, a well-established ICANN-accredited registrar based in the region. By contrast, the majority of .shabaka registrations were held by large international registrars.
At the Middle East DNS Forum 2015, the registry manager was upbeat about the success of their strategy to target "anchor" registrants such as Al Jazeera, which incorporated the domain into its Arabic logo, The gTLD was also used for a site in honour of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, which attracted more than one million visitors.
Excerpted from applicant response to question # 18 in TLD application:
".SITE (Arabic IDN) will be an open TLD, generally available to all registrants (except in the Sunrise period). In general, domains will be offered for periods of one to ten years, but no greater than ten years. Initial registrations made in the Sunrise period may have a minimum number of years required. For example, there may be a policy that all Sunrise names must be registered for an initial term of at least five years."
- Reveal Day 13 June 2012 – New gTLD Applied-For Strings
- Registry Agreements, ICANN.org Retrieved 2013 Oct 9.
- Delegated Strings, ICANN.org Retrieved 2 June 2014
- MEAC DNS Study, ICANN.org. Published 2015 October 13. Retrieved 2015 November 13.
- Arabic Site, AlJazeera.net. Retrieved 2015 November 13.
- DNS Forum in Jordan, AdobeConnect.com. Retrieved 2015 November 13. (From 0:20 minutes to 0:38 minutes)
- ApplicationStatus, gTLDresult.ICANN.orgRetrieved 17 Jan 2013