|Organization:||Exclusive Networks NZ|
Dr. ‘Etuate Cocker is originally from Tonga and was awarded the first PhD in Computer Science for the Kingdom of Tonga. While doing extensive research in the Pacific, he was awarded two grants (ISIF Asia and Internet NZ grants) and have attended a number of International and regional conferences. The results from his doctoral research have contributed to the development of Internet connectivity in the Pacific region. He has contributed to policy discussions in a number of ICANN meetings and he is passionate about improving connectivity for remote islands in the Pacific. His professional experience includes positions as an Instructor in many Cisco academies, Network Engineer, Technical Specialist, Researcher, Team Leader for a team of Network and Security Engineers at the largest Internet Service Provider in New Zealand - Spark NZ Ltd, and currently a Technical Engineer/Trainer for Exclusive Networks Pacific. Etuate has authored/co-authored the following papers as part of his dissertation.
- E. Cocker, U. Speidel, N. Rebenich, S. Neville, A. Gulliver, R. Eimann, K. Nisar, S. Hassan, Z. Azziz, M. Dong, and V. Wong, “Measurement of packet train arrival conditions in high latency networks,” in 9th International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing, Tainan, Tainwan, 10-13 December, p. P0190, 2013.
- E. Cocker, F. Ghazzi, U. Speidel, “Measurement of buffer requirement trends for real time traffic over TCP,” in 15th International Conference on high performance switching and routing, Vancouver, Canada, 1-4 July.
- U. Speidel, E. Cocker, P. Vingelmann, J. Heide, and M. Medard “Can network coding bridge the digital divide in the Pacific?,” in 15th International Symposium on Network Coding, Sydney, Australia, 24-26 June 2015.
- U. Speidel, L.Qian, E. Cocker, P. Vingelmann, J. Heide, and M. Medard “Can network coding mitigate queue oscillation on narrowband satellite links?,” in 15th International Conference on Wireless and Satellite Systems, Bradford, Great Britain, 6-7 July 2015.
- E. Cocker, U. Speidel, F.Ghazzi “Quality trend measurement of long-distance VoIP communication via estimated Mean Opinion Score (MOS),” in 10th International Conference on Information, Communications and Signal Processing (ICICS 2015), Singapore, 2-4 December 2015.
- U. Speidel, E. Cocker, M. Medard, J. Heide, P. Vinglemann "Topologies for the Provision of Network-Coded Services via Shared Satellite Channels," in The Ninth International Conference on Advances in Satellite and Space Communications, Vanice, Italy, 23-27 April 2017.
Etuate is currently a Technical Engineer/Trainer at Exclusive Networks Pacific where he runs a number of Cyber Security workshop (Fortinet) for re-sellers and partners. In addition, he assist customers with re-design of their network and the deployment of vendor's Cyber Security products to effectively mitigate against Cyber Security threats. On a daily basis he support customers with complex issues that is normally escalated as TAC support cases.
Previously he was a Team Lead for New Zealand's biggest network (Spark) on their ICT Network Operation Center. On this role his Engineers respond to Cyber Security threats and manages the operational needs of major Banks, Enterprise, Corporate networks, Spark's own internal Enterprise network, Public Wifi as well as NZ Government institution networks. In essence his team execute many changes across routing, switching, load balancers, DNS, firewall, and Wifi technologies.
As part of his community engagements he is currently a community trainer for the Asia Pacific Network Information Center (APNIC) where he assist with the delivery of contents in their Information Security as well as Advanced Routing Security workshops. These workshops are designed to train Network Engineers and Designers on current best practices on traffic engineering with the BGP protocol, routing origin authentication and other advance network related topics. The courses are normally executed as part of regional network operator group meetings such as PacNOG.
Etuate currently hold 24 industry certifications on which majority of the certifications were completed on his first year at Spark. He continuously work towards a number of industry certifications as part of his role at Exclusive Networks with the goal of bridging the gap between academia and the ICT industry.
In 2004, Etuate was awarded the New Zealand Regional Development Scholarship (NZRDS) in conjunction with the government of Tonga where he studied at the University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji for a Bachelor of Science majoring in Information Systems and Geography. He completed this degree in 2006 and graduated with BSc, Information Systems and Geography in 2007.
While working at the South Pacific Applied Geo-Science Commission (SOPAC) in 2007 as part of the Tonga Government/European Union Geographical Information System (GIS) internship program, he applied for and was awarded the Australian Overseas Development Aid Scholarship (AUSAID ODA) under the open category. This scholarship was awarded in 2009 and it supported Etuate with his studies towards a Master of Science in Internet-working at the University of Technology (UTS) in Sydney, Australia. It was during his time at UTS, that Etuate was awarded another casual scholarship (UTS Dean's award) and the Faculty of Engineering and IT Cisco Academy scholarship to complete additional studies towards the Cisco Certified Academy Instructor (CCAI) program at UTS. In November 2009 he completed the CCAI program and became a part-time Lecturer at UTS. In addition, he also taught at the University of Auckland Cisco academy and was instrumental in the creation of the Cisco Academy at Unitec Institute in Auckland, New Zealand.
In 2010, he graduated with a MSc Internet-working from UTS and was also awarded the Australian Prime Minister's Pacific Award for having completed his MSc degree with at least a Distinction grade (majority of completed courses were High Distinction). This award enabled Etuate to work in Australia for 3 months in an industry related to his degree of study. In addition to having completed his MSc degree he also applied for a place to study towards a PhD in Computer Science at the University of Auckland, New Zealand. He was awarded a place of study but not a scholarship.
In order to fulfill requirements of his AusAID and NZAID scholarships, Etuate returned to Tonga in August 2010 where he worked as a Systems Analyst for the Ministry of Lands, Survey and Natural Resources in Tonga. While working in Tonga he applied for and was awarded the University of Auckland Doctoral scholarship under the Pasifika/Pacific category to further his studies towards a PhD at the University of Auckland in New Zealand. In addition, he also applied for and was awarded the Arthington Davy Scholarship which assisted him with purchasing of experimental equipment required for his research. He started his PhD journey in February 2011 and successfully defended his thesis entitled: Active longitudinal measurement in global networks and goodput recovery with network coding over high latency satellite links in 2016. Later that year (July 2016) he became the first Tongan to graduate with a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Auckland.
Etuate's interest on ICANN started at the time he was a first year student at the University of Auckland. To date, he has attended the following ICANN meetings.
- ICANN 47 - Durban, South Africa
- ICANN 52 - Singapore
- ICANN 53 - Argentina
- ICANN 59 - Johannesburg, South Africa
In addition he has attended the following International conferences
- APNIC 26 - Christchurch, New Zealand
- APNIC 36 - Xian, China
Started in 2010, Etuate have completed the following courses as part of his studies towards many industry certifications:
- 640 - 802 CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate: 2010
- 312 - 50 CEH: Ethical Hacking and Countermeasures: 2010
- Cisco Certified Academy Instructor (CCAI for CCNA, CCNAS): 2010, 2014
- 642 - 902 CCNP1: Implementing Cisco IP Routing: 2013
- 642 - 813 CCNP2: Implementing Cisco IP Switched Networks: 2013
- 642 - 832 CCNP3: Troubleshooting and Maintaining Cisco IP Networks: 2014
- 640 – 554 CCNAS: Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security: 2015
- 156-215.77 CCSA: Check Point Certified Security Administrator: 2015
- 156-315.77 CCSE: Check Point Certified Security Expert: 2015
- JN0-102 JNCIA: Juniper Networks Certified Associate: 2016
- 300– 320 CCDP: Designing Cisco Network Service Architecture: 2016
- JN0-332 JNCIS-SEC: Juniper Networks Certified Security Specialist: 2016
- 300– 207 CCNPS: Implementing Cisco Threat Control Solutions: 2016
- 300– 206 CCNPS: Implementing Cisco Edge Network Security Solutions: 2016
- 156-115.77 CCSM: Check Point Certified Security Master: 2016
- 210-060 CCNA-COL: Implementing Cisco Collaboration Devices v1.0: 2016
- 210-065 CCNA-COL+CVNS: Implementing Cisco Video Network Devices v1.0: 2016
- 300–208 CCNPS: Implementing Cisco Secure Access Solutions: 2016
- 200-310 CCDA: Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions: 2016
- 200-355 CCNAW: Implementing Cisco Wireless Networking Fundamentals: 2016
- 300–209 CCNPS: Implementing Cisco Secure Mobility Solutions: 2016
- ACMP: Aruba Certified Mobility Professional: 2016
- 70-410 MCSA: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012: 2016
- 500-452 ENCWE: Enterprise Networks Core and WAN Exam: 2016
- 70-411 MCSA: Administering Windows Server 2012: 2017
- 70-412 MCSA: Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services: 2017
- 156-215.80 CCSA: Check Point Certified Security Administrator: 2017
- JN0-347 JNCIS-ENT: Juniper Certified Enterprise Routing and Switching Specialist: 2017
- 400-251 CCIES (Written): Cisco Certified Internet-working Expert Security: 2017
- F5 101: Application Delivery Fundamentals: 2018
- NSE4: Fortinet Network Security Professional: 2018
- NSE4 Certified Instructor: 2019
- NSE5: Fortinet Network Security Analyst: FortiManager (FMG) 2019
- NSE5: Fortinet Network Security Analyst: FortiAnalyser (FAZ) 2019
- NCP - Nutanix Certified Professional 5.5: 2019
- NSE7: Fortinet Network Security Architect: Enterprise Firewall 2020
By completing the above courses, Etuate holds the following certifications
- ACMP, F5 (101), MCSA, CEH, JNCIA, JNCIS-SEC, JNCIS-ENT, NSE4, NSE5, NSE7, NCP, CCAI, CCSA, CCSE, CCSM, CVNS, CCNA R&S, CCNAS, CCDA, CCNAC, CCNAW, CCNP R&S, CCDP, CCNPS, ENCWE, CCIES (Written)