|Email:||hans [at] gatech.edu|
Hans Klein is Associate Professor at the School of Public Policy at the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech). His research interests are in technology policy for information systems. His theoretical orientation is towards institutional and organizational theory, policy process models, and case studies of system development. Klein's work focuses on the design of governance institutions for large technical systems, most notably the Internet and intelligent transportation systems (ITS).
Klein has participated in ISOC since 1995, in ICANN since 1997, and the WSIS Summits and Prepcons since 2003. Klein chaired Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility and led its efforts to mobilize the ICANN At-large Membership
- Director, Internet and Public Policy Project (IP3) at Georgia Tech
- Vice-Chair, ITS Program Advisory Committee of the US Department of Transportation (A Federal Advisory Committee to the US Secretary of Transportation and the Congress)
- Participant, The Internet Governance Project
Selection of Journal Articles
- Understanding WSIS: An Institutional Analysis of the UN World Summit on the Information Society
- ICANN and Internet Governance: Leveraging Technical Coordination to Make Global Public Policy
- Global Democracy and the ICANN Elections
- The Feasibility of Global Democracy: Understanding ICANN's At-large Elections
- 2009 - DAAD Scholarship, Hertie School of Governance, Berlin.
- 2000 - Chateaubriand Fellowship, Ecole des mines, Paris.
- 1983 - DAAD Post-graduate Fellowship, Technical University of Munich.
- Ph.D., MIT, Political Science - 1996
- M.A., MIT, Technology and Policy - 1993
- B.S.E., Princeton University, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science - 1983
- Hans Klein, "Understanding WSIS: An Institutional Analysis of the UN World Summit on the Information Society," in Information Technology and International Development, Special Issue on WSIS. MIT Press, Vol.1, No. 3-4, Spring-Summer 2005.
- Hans Klein, "ICANN and Internet Governance: Leveraging Technical Coordination to Make Global Public Policy," in The Information Society, Vol. 18, No. 3, 2002.
- Hans Klein, "Global Democracy and the ICANN Elections" in info, Vol. 3, No.2, August 2001.
- Hans Klein, "The Feasibility of Global Democracy: Understanding ICANN's At-large Elections," in info, Vol. 3, No.2, August 2001.