Jean-Jacques Subrenat's volunteer work on Internet matters has included being:
- member of the NETMundial Coordination Council
- President of the Steering Committee, IndividualUsers.org (elected in October 2015).
- member of the ALAC, twice appointed by ICANN's NomCom, 2010-2012, again 2012-2014.. In ALAC, set up its Future Challenges Working Group (FCWG), of which he is Co-Chair. The FCWG produced the ALAC White Paper "Making ICANN Relevant, Responsive and Respected" (R3)]. 
- member of the ICANN Board, appointed by the NomCom, 2007-10.. During his service on the Board, was (successively or simultaneously) active in several Committees: President's Strategy Committee (where he was a co-author of the "Implementation Plan for Improving Institutional Confidence"); Structural Improvements Committee; Public Participation Committee (as its first Chair). Subrenat also served on several Board Working Groups: ALAC Review, Board Review, ccNSO Review (as its Chair).
Articles, comments & videos about the Internet
- Subrenat's contributions to the industry blog, CircleID, can be found here.
- Subrenat speaking on the Multistakeholder Model and the role of governments within ICANN (interviewed by Glenn McKnight):
Subrenat was a French diplomat, 1971-2005. Among other assignments, he was on the Policy Planning Staff (1976-78); seconded to the Ministry of Industry to help set up the Solar Energy Authority, where he created and led the international affairs department (1978-80); Diplomatic Adviser to the Minister for Europe (1980-81); Deputy Director for Asia and the Pacific (1984-86); Alternate director for development aid (1986-88); Alternate director for the Americas (1992-95). He went on to serve as Ambassador to the Western European Union in Brussels (1995-1998), to Estonia (1998-2002), and Finland (2002-2005). He acted as interim Governor for France on the Board of Governors of the Asia-Europe Foundation ASEF in 2005. He retired from diplomatic service in 2005.
Other activity includes:
- Researcher, CNRS, 1967-1971.
- Tutor, Institut International d'Administration Publique, 1986-88.
- Chairman of the Advisory Board, Institut Pierre Werner, 2007-10.
- Senior advisor to the board of CCRN (Centre culturel et de rencontre Neumunster), which he represented in EUNIC (European Union National Institutes for Culture network), 2009-10.
- Tutor, Ecole nationale d'administration, Strasbroug, 2007-08 .
- Subrenat is the editor of Estonia - Identity and Independence;;
- author of Listen, There's Music From the Forest: a Brief Presentation of the Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival in English and French.
Jean-Jacques Subrenat holds a doctoral degree ("Doctorat du troisième cycle") in history from the Sorbonne University in Paris, and other degrees from Bordeaux, Osaka, Paris.
- At Large ALAC and RALO Elections Selections and Appointments 2012, Community.ICANN.org
- At Large Future Challenges, ICANN.org
- Bios, ICANN.org
- Panelist Bio View, IntGovForum.org
- Emerging Issues, Elon.edu
- Jean Jacques Subrenat, en.Wikipedia.org
- Baltic, Rodopi.nl