|Email:||saustin [at] gordonrees.com|
Scott Austin is a Partner at the law firm Gordon & Rees and has held that position since October 2010. He has been a lawyer for almost thirty years and specializes in trademark and Internet law. Austin is a board-certified in Intellectual Property by The Florida Bar. His law experience extends to representing clients in negotiation and litigation related to IT software and online services, counseling national and international clients on IP matters, and litigating for online technology and privacy matters, including the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act and the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. He has resolved disputes with domain name registrants around the world under UDRP and ACPA.
Of Austin's addition to Gordon & Rees, Robert M. Mayer, managing partner of the Miami office, said, "[Austin] brings invaluable IP expertise to complement the comprehensive range of litigation and business transaction services we offer."
Prior to joining Gordon & Rees, Austin was a partner at Roetzel & Andress. He earned his JD from Georgetown University Law Center, where he was a law review editor, and earned an MBA from Ohio University. He was also an Adjunct Professor of Law at Nova Southeastern Univesity's Broad Law School.
He is a member of ICANN's Vertical Integration Working Group, Internationalized Registration Data Working Group, and the Intellectual Property Constituency (since 2008). He has also been a member of INTA since 2002 and was appointed a National Arbitration Forum (NAF) panelist for UDRP disputes in 2012.
Austin was a recipient of a Florida Bar Award for his work developing Limited Liability Company law in Florida and authored in 2011 the model "Florida LLC Operating Agreement", which was included in the 2011-2012 edition of Limited Liability Company Handbook, which offers a complete summary on rules, regulations, forms, and more related to LLCs. In 2012, he authored articles for the Miami Herald, and was a law and technology columnist for the Daily Business Review from 2000 to 2004.
Austin is a jazz lover and professional saxophonist.
- Gordon & Rees Lawyer. Gordon & Rees. Retrieved November 8.
- Miami Office of Gordon & Rees Continues to Expand with Addition of Scott Austin. CityBizList. Published 2011 January 26. Retrieved 2012 November 8.
- ICANN 45 Interview. ICANNWiki. Retrieved 2012 October 25.
- Scott Austin Appointed to the NAF Panel of Independent and Neutral Arbitrators and Mediators for Domain Name Disputes. Gordon & Rees. Published 2012 August. Retrieved 2012 November 8.
- Scott Austin Provides Model Florida LLC Operating Agreement. Gordon & Rees. Published 2011 September. Retrieved 2012 November 8.
- Scott Austin Authors Article on Internet Domains for the Miami Herald. Gordon & Rees. Published 2012 February. Retrieved 2012 November 8.