800 - Donuts (Pioneer Tigers, LLC)
|Parked Domain %:||65.08 %|
|Delegation:||23 April 2014|
|General Availability:||03 September 2014|
.gratis is a gTLD that was proposed in ICANN's New gTLD Program. Donuts won the rights to the string over Uniregistry in a Private auction. The Donuts application succeeded and was delegated to the Root Zone on 23 April 2014, making Donuts the Registry Operator for the string.
- Donuts (Pioneer Tigers, LLC), one of 307 applications by the company. This applicant submitted a Public Interest Commitment, which can be downloaded here.
European Commission Communiqué
The European Commission flagged the application for .gratis outside of ICANN's defined remediation processes.
Just after ICANN's GAC issued its Early Warnings, which are advice given from one GAC member country to an applicant warning it of potential issues within its application, the European Commission issued a letter to all applicants within the New gTLD Program. The letter highlights 58 applications that "could raise issues of compatibility with the existing legislation .. and/or with policy positions and objectives of the European Union." It notes a desire to open a dialogue with each offending applicant.
The Commission specifically notes that this objection is not a part of the GAC Early Warning process, and goes on to note that "the Commission does not consider itself legally bound to ICANN processes," given that there is not legal agreement between the two bodies.
In February 2014, it was reported that Uniregistry and Donuts reached a private deal which resolved a number of New gTLD string contention sets involving only the two companies. Although the deal coincided with a round of Private Auctions conducted by Applicant Auction on February 18th, neither companies immediately commented on the nature of the deal and Applicant Auction did not disclose the participants of its recent auctions. If the companies had participated in a private auction, it would mark the first private auctions that Uniregistry participated in, after the company initially questioned the legality of private auctions in the New gTLD Program.
Delegation and Availability
- Delegated Strings, ICANN.org Retrieved 30 May 2014
- Here are the 54, TheDomains.com
- Gratis Status, ICANN.org
- DomainIncite.com/Docs Published 27 Nov 2012, Retrieved 11 Dec 2012
- Europe Rejects ICANNs Authority As it Warns of Problems with 58 New gTLDs, DomainIncite.com Published 27 Nov 2012, Retrieved 11 Dec 2012
- Uniregistry doing Private New gTLD Auctions? Company Deals with Donuts on Five Strings, DomainIncite Retrieved Feb 21 2014
- Registry Agreements, ICANN.org Retrieved 30 May 2014