- Professor of Internet and Internet Society at UNAM
- Member of the Advisory Council for NIC Mexico
- Member of Alfa-Redi
- Founding Chair and Member of the Board of Corporacion Universitaria para el Desarrollo de Internet - Internet2 in Mexico (CUDI)
- Member of ISOC
He has contributed knowledge towards areas such as virtual reality, digital signatures and online elections.
- From 1984 to 1986 he was a postdoctoral fellow at the Max-Planck-Institut für Festkörperforschung in Stuttgart in Germany.
- He completed Bachelors in Chemistry from UNAM and M.Sc and Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from the same university.
- From 1995 to 1997 he was the Coordinator of the Distance Education Project at UNAM.
- He was the Technical Secretary of the Computing Advisory Council from 1991 to 1997 at UNAM
- He served as Head of Graduate School in Chemistry from 1993 to 1995 at the same institute.
- DNSO selected Alejandro Pisanty for the ICANN Board. He was first select in 1999 and his term ended in 2003, after which DNSO again selected him for another term, which ended in 2006.
- He was one of the founders of Non-Commercial Domain Name Holders Constituency (now the NCUC) of ICANN.
- He has also served as the chairman of ISOC Mexico.
- He is a Trustee on the board of ISOC Mexico.
- He led a campaign known as the InternetNecesario in 2009. The campaign was about adjusting tax laws regarding internet in Mexico.
- He is a local node of wiwiw.org in Mexico.