|Email:||jito [at] neoteny.com|
He has served and continues to serve on numerous Japanese commercial, as well as local government, committees and boards, advising on IT, privacy, and computer security related issues. He is a co-founder and board member of Digital Garage. He is on the board of Culture Convenience Club (CCC). He is a Senior Visiting Researcher of Keio Research Institute at Shonan Fujisawa Campus in Japan. He is the Chairman of Six Apart Japan the weblog software company. He is on board of a number of non-profit organizations including The Mozilla Foundation , WITNESS and Global Voices. He has created numerous Internet companies including PSINet Japan, Digital Garage and Infoseek Japan and was an early stage investor in Twitter, Six Apart, EPIC , Technorati, Flickr, SocialText, Dopplr, Last.fm, Rupture, Kongregate and other Internet companies. He maintains a weblog where he regularly shares his thoughts with the online community. He is the Guild Custodian of the World of Warcraft guild, We Know.
Joichi Ito was selected by the 2004 Nominating Committee to an additional term, which ran from the end of the 2004 annual meeting through the conclusion of the ICANN Annual Meeting in 2007.  He has reflected on the status of ICANN and his three years with the organization on his blog.
Awards and Recognition
- 1997 - Member of the Cyber Elite - Time Magazine
- 2000 - 50 stars of Asia - Business Week
- 2000 - Commendations - Japanese Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications
- 2001 - 100 Global Leaders for Tomorrow - World Economic Forum
- 2005 - Leader of the Pack - Newsweek
- 2007 - Member of the Next Establishment - Vanity Fair
- 2008 - 25 Most Influential People on the Web - Businessweek
- Associate to Mr. Mount (The Executive Producer) at Indian Runner, January 1989 - January 1991.
- Producer at XY Relax, April 1990 - February 1991.
- CEO at PSINet Japan Inc., December 1995 - October 1996.
- Headmaster at Bithaus, January 1997 - April 1998.
- CEO at Digital Garage, Inc., August 1995 - June 1999.
- Board Member at Energy Conversion Devices, Inc., August 1995 - July 2000.
- Chairman, Board Member at Infoseek Japan, October 1996 - July 2003.
- Jury Member, .Net & Digital Communities at Prix Ars Electronica, May 1995 - May 2005.
- Secretariat Member at Keizai Doyukai - Japan Association of Corporate Executives, April 1999 - 2005.
- Vice Representative Secretariat Member at Enjin01 / The Cultural Stategy Council, January 2000 - 2005.
- General Manger of Global Operations at Technorati, March 2004 - September 2006.
- Board Member at MetaBrainz Foundation, April 2005 to October 2006.
- Board Member at Creative Commons, June 2003 to December 2006.
- Chairman of the Board at iCommons, October 2005 - January 2007.
- Fellow at The Annenberg Center for Communication of the University of Southern California (USC), May 2006 - March 2007.
- Board Member at Open Source Initiative, March 2005 - April 2007.
- Board Member at ICANN, December 2004 - December 2007.
- Board Member at Computer Scientists for Social Responsibility, July 2005 - 2008.
- Chairman and Board Member at Creative Commons, December 2006 - April 2008.
- Board Member at Rupture, 2007 - May 2008.
- Board Member at Pia Corporation, July 2002 - July 2008
- Board Member at BUG, July 2006 - September 2008.
- Board Member at Nishimachi International School, December 2005 to November 2008.
- Board Member at Foundation for Global Education and Communication, January 1996 - April 2009.
- Board Member at Socialtext, May 2004 - February 2010.
- Board Member at Technorati, October 2006 - February 2010.
- Angel Investor at Joichi Ito (Sole Proprietorship), June 1996 - present.
- CEO at Kula Co., Ltd., 2001 - present.
- Founder and primary contributor at Joi Ito's Web, June 2002 - present.
- Founder at Joi Ito]]'s Wiki, April 2003 - present.
- Founder and op at #joiito on IRC, June 2003 - present.
- Chairman at Six Apart Japan, April 2004 - present.
- Board Member at Nihon Gigei Inc., December 2004 - present.
- Board Member at Mozilla Foundation, August 2005 - present.
- Guild Master at We Know, September 2005 - present.
- Board Member at iCommons, January 2006 - present.
- Board Member at CGM Marketing, July 2006 - present.
- Board Member at Digital Garage, September 2006 - present.
- Board Member Emeritus at Open Source Initiative, April 2007 - present.
- Board Member at Sanrio Digital - US Office, August 2007 - present.
- Board Member at Outblaze, August 2007 - present.
- Board Member at Global Voices, August 2007 - present.
- CEO at Creative Commons, April 2008 - present.
- Part-Time Instructor at Keio Graduate School of Media Design, July 2008 - present.
- Board Member at fotonauts, July 2008 - present.
- Advisory Board Member at Electronic Privacy Information Center, September 2008 - present.
- Senior Visiting Researcher at Keio University SFC Research Institute, September 2008 - present.
- Trustee at Nishimachi International School, November 2008 - present.
- Advisory Board Member at Emitac, December 2008 - present.
- Board Member at CCC Co., Ltd., May 2009 - present.
- Board Member at FreStyl, July 2009 - present.
- Board Member at thesixtyone, July 2009 - present.
- Advisor at Twitter, August 2009 - present.
- Board Member at Startl, October 2009 - present.
- General Partner at Neoteny Labs, November 2009 - present.
- Board Member at Public Knowledge, November 2009 - present.
- Advisory Board at PicScout, December 2009 - present.
- Affiliate at Berkman Center for Internet & Society, Harvard University, May 2010 - present.
- Divemaster at PADI, August 2010 - present.
- Chairman and CEO at Creative Commons, September 2010 - present.
- Instructor at Divers Alert Network (DAN), January 2011 - present.