|Stakeholder Group(s):||Private Sector - Domain Name Industry|
Kristina Rosette is Senior Corporate Counsel -- IP, Domains for Amazon Inc. She is a member of the New gTLD Subsequent Procedure PDP Working Group and the Expedited Policy Development Process on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data.
Previously, she was Special Counsel to Covington & Burling LLP, a general practice law firm with over 600 lawyers in five offices in three countries, where she worked in the DC office. Since 2004 she has been a member of the Registration Practice and DNS Administration Subcommittee of the International Trademark Association’s Internet Committee. Until January 2015, she was the President of the Intellectual Property Constituency at ICANN; previously she was its Vice President, and a representative on the GNSO Council.
While in private practice, she reclaimed almost 250 domain names from cybersquatting and other registrants through negotiation, arbitration, and litigation.
Ms. Rosette has extensive expertise in domain name matters. She has been the Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC) (North America) President, Vice President and representative to the ICANN Generic Names Supporting Organization Council. Ms. Rosette is involved in policy development relating to Whois, domain tasting, and the introduction of new gTLDs. She negotiated the terms and passage of the GNSO Council motion that ended the policy development process on Whois and avoided radical change to it; wrote and implemented the IPC Supplemental Request for Information on Domain Tasting that provided trademark owners with the opportunity to articulate to ICANN the harms caused by domain tasting; drafted policy recommendations on the introduction of new gTLDs and to curb domain tasting; and chaired the ICANN Protecting the Rights of Others Working Group, which was charged with identifying and recommending “best practices” for the protection of trademark rights in the launch of new gTLDs. Ms. Rosette prepared comments on an ICANN Preliminary Task Force Report on Whois to which 12 firm clients became signatories.
In her trademark practice, Ms. Rosette advised clients on trademark selection, clearance, prosecution, registration, and enforcement matters in the United States and other countries. She was the principal trademark counsel to a luxury casino hotel resort, a national sports federation, a global satellite company, and a leading distributor of financial services and products.
Representative Matters in Private Practice
- Developed and implemented a brand protection and Internet enforcement strategy for a luxury casino hotel resort.
- Filed the first .mobi Sunrise Challenge and reclaimed numerous domain names for clients through demand letters and arbitration proceedings under the UDRP and other dispute policies.
- Negotiated and wrote the retail program and license agreement for a destination resort client’s highly successful e-commerce retail store.
- Wrote the Content Agreement for a joint venture involving a satirical newspaper and an internationally recognized newspaper.
Honors and Rankings
- Recognized by Legal 500 US in their "IP Trademarks: Non-contentious - Full coverage" category (2010).
- Recipient of the 2008 Volunteer Service Award for the Advancement of Trademark Law, International Trademark Association.
- WORLDLeaders IP Awards, shortlisted in the worldwide category "Excellence in Domain Name Policy Implementation." (2008).
- Recognized as a leading lawyer by Legal 500 US in their " IP Trademarks: Non-contentious - Full coverage" category (2008).
- Recipient of the 2007 Volunteer Service Award for the Advancement of the Association, International Trademark Association.
- Recognized as a leading lawyer by Legal 500 US in their “IP – non-contentious/transactional: Trademarks – full coverage” category (2007).
Memberships and Affiliations
- International Trademark Association, Internet Committee, Special Advisor (2010-present)
- International Trademark Association, Internet Committee, Registration Practice and DNS Administration Subcommittee, Chair (2008-2009) and Member (2004-2007)
- ICANN GNSO Council, Intellectual Property Constituency (North America) representative (2006-present)
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section, Special Committee on Online Trademark Issues (2005-present)
- Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia (2004-present)